Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Wi-Fi (WiFi) Availability

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#846198  by themallard

The next generation rolling stock of Amfleet replacements and Third Generation bilevels will.
12.6.7Provision for Wireless Internet The Contractor shall install the hardware needed to establish bi-directional broadband connections to the trackside (i.e., 4.9 GHz and 5.x GHz) and cellular infrastructure (i.e., HSPA and EV-DO). The equipment is required to support multiple cellular cards (HSPA and EV-DO; preferably two cards from each of the four leading mobile operators: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile) and to be capable of supporting additional wireless interfaces, including Evolved HSPA, WiMAX and LTE, when (and if) they will become available along the ROW in the future simply by swapping the data card.
AASHTO

Wifi will be used to update the visual sign boards, automated announcements, and will be able to accommodate "future additional systems including car monitoring and a CCTV... system."
 #846202  by Greg Moore

HBLR wrote:As with bolt bus, the wifi equipment would be located onboard the vehicle, not road/trackside. I've been following the development of this for quite some time now, and I think people are slightly misinformed now and again, the railcars will have the satellite equipment to hook to the Internet, and the wifi equipment to create the "hotspot". If you experienced slow speeds, it's because everyone else on the whole train is likely also using it. Once fully developed and deployed; it will be robust enough to carry every passengers' data needs. I hope nj transit looks at this and sees if they can put it on their light rail lines, path also should look into it I think.
They may be looking at satellite for long distance trains out west, but along the NEC they're using 3G networks to connect to the wifi equipment on the Acela cars.

The biggest problem with satellite is latency. Not a big deal for checking email, etc. but some may find it painful to use.

And from my limited experience (I've basically given up on trying to use the Acela wifi) the slowness seems to be mostly a latency issue. But I keep trying it every once in awhile to see if I can get faster speeds than my cell modem. (generally I can't.)
 #846231  by AgentSkelly

I have worked with satellite internet; its not that bad now with current equipment. The latency has been cut in half than over previous generations, which were just plain awful.

Also, keep in mind other Wifi implementations on trains that I have seen (TGV for example) they put one AP per car with a dedicated 3G/satellite card on it so there is even bandwidth.
 #850061  by tfherb

Steampowered wrote:Does amtrak have any plans to add Wifi to there regular trains ? I was kinda surprised it wasnt there ? But a charge of $3-5 would be tolerable to use it.
A source told me that Amtrak has plans to have WiFi in all regionals by November. Has anybody heard about this?
It is not clear where the WAP will be, perhaps in the engine?
 #850085  by Greg Moore

Yes, they have discussed having wifi in the regionals. It will not be in the engine (the range just wouldn't be there).

But I have not seen an official date from Amtrak.
 #850086  by Jersey_Mike

The system works well on the Downeaster service. Before I boarded I was connecting from inside North Station and it was much more reliable than the MTBA coaches.
 #850092  by tfherb

Jersey_Mike wrote:The system works well on the Downeaster service. Before I boarded I was connecting from inside North Station and it was much more reliable than the MTBA coaches.
Where do you think the WAP is in the downeaster or at least where do you get the strongest signal?

Maybe they will put it in the cafe car. That is generally in or near the middle of the train on the regionals. With a booster, the signal might reach the last car "where I usually ride"
 #850143  by jstolberg

tfherb wrote:A source told me that Amtrak has plans to have WiFi in all regionals by November. Has anybody heard about this?
It is not clear where the WAP will be, perhaps in the engine?
It makes sense now that the summer season is over to take some Amfleets and wire them for outlets and WiFi. And yes, it makes sense to do it during September and October, so that in November and December maintenance can focus on getting all the old cars operating for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So keep an eye out for which cars on the NEC get new outlets. They're probably getting the WAP too.
 #850160  by hi55us

almost every amfleet I've been on over the last 2 years has had outlets
 #850163  by jamesinclair

tfherb wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:The system works well on the Downeaster service. Before I boarded I was connecting from inside North Station and it was much more reliable than the MTBA coaches.
Where do you think the WAP is in the downeaster or at least where do you get the strongest signal?

Maybe they will put it in the cafe car. That is generally in or near the middle of the train on the regionals. With a booster, the signal might reach the last car "where I usually ride"
The MBTA puts the routers in every single car. Wifi has short range, so amtrak would be best to do the same. That way, consists can be moved around without having to worry about the wifi, and if one fails, there are redundancies.

Hopefully, they dont make the same idiotic mistake the MBTA has, and set the frequency the same in each one.
 #850282  by nomis

Then you can vary your broadcast channel to b/g Ch 1, 6 or 11 ... and when consists are drilled you can still end up with similar channels being linked together. Unless it is mechanical's responsibility to make sure each unit is set in a sequence when a consist is adjusted. Possible on Amtrak, improbable on MBTA ... but would you like it if your train was late leaving the terminal because the WiFi was incorrectly set.
 #850307  by HBLR

Greg Moore wrote:
HBLR wrote:As with bolt bus, the wifi equipment would be located onboard the vehicle, not road/trackside. I've been following the development of this for quite some time now, and I think people are slightly misinformed now and again, the railcars will have the satellite equipment to hook to the Internet, and the wifi equipment to create the "hotspot". If you experienced slow speeds, it's because everyone else on the whole train is likely also using it. Once fully developed and deployed; it will be robust enough to carry every passengers' data needs. I hope nj transit looks at this and sees if they can put it on their light rail lines, path also should look into it I think.
They may be looking at satellite for long distance trains out west, but along the NEC they're using 3G networks to connect to the wifi equipment on the Acela cars.

The biggest problem with satellite is latency. Not a big deal for checking email, etc. but some may find it painful to use.

And from my limited experience (I've basically given up on trying to use the Acela wifi) the slowness seems to be mostly a latency issue. But I keep trying it every once in awhile to see if I can get faster speeds than my cell modem. (generally I can't.)
Thank you for the information. I was thinking out west, too much going on along the corridor to have pure satellite, especially the overhead lines. I think on the light rail (if they ever did) they would use wayside tranceivers. I think the EMF of the overhead lines would prove enough of a barrier to relegate sat to stations and out west/off electrified corridors.
 #890240  by Oldsmoboi

It's $120 for a mobile hotspot that supports 5 people and $40 a month to run it. All it needs is a 12 volt connection and mount it to the ceiling of each car.

BTW, most of the newest Android phones offer tethering.
 #891028  by hi55us

Oldsmoboi wrote:r.

BTW, most of the newest Android phones offer tethering.
download easy tether, buy the pro version for $10, I get downloads of 5 mbps (not shabby, faster than the acela wifi which is >1 last time I was on it)
 #894043  by HBLR

What is the status of deployment as of today january 25 2011?