Pacific Cape and other Dorm Cars

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Jersey_Mike

Post by Jersey_Mike » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:51 pm

My friend spotted Amtrak's "Pacific Cape" at WAS yesterday, but I can't find any information as to what function this car serves. Apparently it used to be a crew dorm and a website says that Pacific Cape was renamed Pacific Patrol, but notwithstanding the Pacific Cape seems to be around and kicking.

Can anyone explain what job this car has today and what happened to the Crew Dorm fleet to make Amtrak decide that they should be replaced?

strench707

Re: Pacific Cape and other Dorm Cars

Post by strench707 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:56 pm

The Pacifc Command and another identical sleeper have been sitting in WAS for a while now and both were (I believe) 10-6 sleepers used on eastern LD trains before they retired them from revenue service in mid to late 2000's. The Pacific Command was out in California for a while sitting around LA. Its used for non-revenue purposes as of now, most likely functioning similarly to the Beech Grove. When I was in the Pacific command they had removed a bunch of the rooms and it just had a large section of tables I guess Amtrak personnel could just sit at.

Davis

spacecadet

Post by spacecadet » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 am

Jersey_Mike wrote:Can anyone explain what job this car has today and what happened to the Crew Dorm fleet to make Amtrak decide that they should be replaced?
They weren't replaced, they were just retired. These were old SF and UP 10-6 sleepers that were reassigned as "dorm lounges" after the Viewliners came online, with the idea being that the front part of the car would be a smoking lounge. That never worked out due to noise, though, and only one car ever had the "lounge" section installed to my knowledge. The rest of the crew dorm fleet just had a big empty space in one end of the car. So there was a lot of waste, dragging these half-empty old non-revenue generating cars around that needed as much maintenance as any heritage fleet car would. Eventually the bean counters at Amtrak figured they'd lose less money by putting the crew in revenue space in the Viewliners and chucking the crew dorms.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:05 am

Here is one assignment held by one of the "retired" cars noted here:

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=xgwUtsK1e ... re=related

Here is On Track On Line's compilation of these Company Service cars:

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtk-ro ... ml#Company

AMTK1007

Post by AMTK1007 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 am

One of them, I believe it is the Pacific Cape, as I understand it, has been "semi permanently" assigned for service witht he Beech grove and Ocean View. When I was on the 'Cape briefly last summer, there were tables ( and I believe a Microwave) in the "lounge" area as well as a permanently installed Washer Dryer combo..
Conductors Portable calling the Head End of Amtrak 7, we have a green on the starting system, America's train can Depart Chicago on signal indication, lets go to channel 44

Jersey_Mike

Post by Jersey_Mike » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 am

What is the number of the Pacific Cape?

strench707

Post by strench707 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:46 pm

The Pacific Cape was numbered as 2521 when it was a Crew Dorm car.

It was then renamed the Pacific Patrol and was renumbered in the same series as the other company cars as 10021 when it was reassigned to its current duties.

I am not sure why they changed the name. The Pacifc Command was dorm 2524, now its 10020 and is now an Amtrak Police Mobile Command Center, hence the "Command" in the name. That is why when Obama was coming down the NEC the pilot train had this car on it.

Hope that helps!

Davis

Jersey_Mike

Post by Jersey_Mike » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 pm

It was then renamed the Pacific Patrol and was renumbered in the same series as the other company cars as 10021 when it was reassigned to its current duties.
On Wed my friend said that he saw an Amtrak painted Heritage car at WAS labeled "Pacific Cape". Was Pacific Patrol re-re-named or is there a new Pacific Cape or did they forget to change the nameplates o.0?

strench707

Post by strench707 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 pm

He may have misread, I am not sure. There is no Pacifc Cape that is still in revenue service. It is true that there was at a time but now only the command and the patrol are being used.

Davis

Jersey_Mike

Post by Jersey_Mike » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:21 pm

He's not a railfan so he had no knowledge of any Amtrak car names. I find it strange that he would misread one that mapped to another name that used to be utilized. Also I was speaking to him on the phone when he was there.

strench707

Post by strench707 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Jersey_Mike wrote:He's not a railfan so he had no knowledge of any Amtrak car names. I find it strange that he would misread one that mapped to another name that used to be utilized. Also I was speaking to him on the phone when he was there.
The last couple of times I have been there the two cars have been sitting there, so maybe next time I get down there I can check. There is nothing on the active roster with the name you are referring to and they don't keep retired cars in WAS.

Davis

Jersey_Mike

Post by Jersey_Mike » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:53 am

I assume the old name is still someone on the car and that was what he saw.

strench707

Post by strench707 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 pm

Jersey_Mike wrote:I assume the old name is still someone on the car and that was what he saw.
Probably so.

Davis

jp1822

Post by jp1822 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 pm

I spotted one and perhaps two of the former Heritage Crew/Dorms in Washington DC as I came into Washington DC on 10/31. I am sure they were the "Pacific" cars mentioned here. They were on what I call the "lower level" tracks where through trains to/from the south join the NEC.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:34 pm

From what I hear and see, between one and three Pacific cars are usually parked on the far track at WUS.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

Return to “Amtrak”