Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1517346  by charlesriverbranch

Safetee wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm the beauty of the palmer station is that it is in fact a beautiful extremely well built historic structure and if the mass to new london service ever actually happens, it could kill two birds with one stone.
Framingham Station matches that description, too, but MBTA and Amtrak stop at new platforms just west of the former station.
 #1517465  by daybeers

Really too bad about the loss of BC. That was one of the big pluses for me when taking the LSL in the future.
 #1517867  by Ryand-Smith

I just rode the lake shore limited to go to Columbus Ohio. It’s a good train. 2 things, I am shocked they don’t offer a thruway at Cleveland for Columbus Ohio, I bought my own greyhound ticket and you get there at 8 AM or so.

Second, is there a connection between the Lake shore line and the Red Line? I was wondering if dual power (so either the proposed future dual mode or a shoe locomotive with a short third rail installed in downtown Cleveland) could allow for Amtrak to use a nice station and get rid of the old Neo Amshack
 #1517926  by shlustig

There is no trackage connection between the RTA Red Line and the CSX or NS trackage at the Amtrak Station in Cleveland. The RTA Waterfront Line is between the Amtrak platform and the Station, but the Red Line does not use the Waterfront route.

There is no chance of Amtrak returning to the former station at CUT since the new Federal Bldg. covers the western approach and security concerns prohibit additional rail usage.
 #1517931  by farecard

The connection is to take a taxi to Public Square, about a mile away.

CUT morphed into Tower City, a shopping mall inside the Terminal Tower. There's no trackage besides RTA's.

BTW, I heard that the Federal Building shakes alarmingly with every passing train.
(Err, that's the other Federal Building, the one on Lakeside the FBI is in.)
 #1517942  by gokeefe

I'm not even convinced that sending the trains downtown would help on this particular route given that everything is through service. Keep it all on the main line and build a really nice station around, over and above it. The transit connection is already in place anyways so sending the service downtown is redundant.
 #1517948  by farecard

The transit connection is non-existent.

AFAIK, both the LSL and the CL arrive when RTA rail is shutdown.
When I arrive on the CL, I take a cab to Public Square and get a bus; they run all night.
 #1517950  by mtuandrew

farecard wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 am The transit connection is non-existent.

When I arrive on the CL, I take a cab to Public Square and get a bus; they run all night.
Not that I have a ton of sympathy for Ohio given their repeated refusal to fund passenger rail, but it would sure be nice if there were a third NYP-CHI that called on all stations between PGH and EKH during daylight hours.
 #1517971  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we forget, Mr. Stephens, that's a "been there done that" with the W-Gang's freight initiative.

Apparently, The Pennsylvanian was simply the ERIE's Atlantic Express, and there wasn't enough freight to mKe it pay.
 #1517975  by mtuandrew

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:22 pm Lest we forget, Mr. Stephens, that's a "been there done that" with the W-Gang's freight initiative.

Apparently, The Pennsylvanian was simply the ERIE's Atlantic Express, and there wasn't enough freight to mKe it pay.
It isn’t like the Lake Shore Limited or Capitol Limited are bringing home more bacon than they take from the piggy bank, to mix metaphors. Why not consider a third train that largely garners a new set of riders: the late departure/evening arrival endpoint riders, the graveyard shift folks in the next cities (PHL/HAR westbound, SOB/EKH eastbound), and the daylight passengers between?

This is an instance where the “glide path” approach patently won’t work (though one could slightly expand the Amtrak Express program with the influx of V-II bags) and the state PRIIA funding approach really isn’t applicable. It’s really on Amtrak to make it happen as a much more workable alternative to the Cardinal as an evening train, and to figure out how best to cover its costs through Federal monies, fares, and on-board services.
 #1517981  by gokeefe

farecard wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 am The transit connection is non-existent.

Point very well made and taken. Makes complete sense of course.
 #1547626  by Red Wing

The left side gives you views of the West Springfield yard and the Westfield River.