Lake Shore Limited

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

gokeefe

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Post by gokeefe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Yes, terminals.
gokeefe

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Storage yards, too; ie, Sunnyside, Chicago, and others.

arthur d.

Post by arthur d. » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Was about to book travel on 448/449 today when the agent informed me that the trains have lost their baggage cars. Checked bags between BOS and CHI will now be routed through WAS. Can anyone confirm this?

Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:16 pm

arthur d. wrote:Was about to book travel on 448/449 today when the agent informed me that the trains have lost their baggage cars. Checked bags between BOS and CHI will now be routed through WAS. Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed, and in another typical Anderson-era initiative, several of the tables and chairs in the cafe car have been removed and replaced with bike racks due to elimination of baggage car storage.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 am

448/449 was the test case for the View II bag-Dorms,put them in service! not storage in Fl. :(
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

arthur d.

Post by arthur d. » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:55 am

Matt Johnson wrote:
arthur d. wrote:Was about to book travel on 448/449 today when the agent informed me that the trains have lost their baggage cars. Checked bags between BOS and CHI will now be routed through WAS. Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed, and in another typical Anderson-era initiative, several of the tables and chairs in the cafe car have been removed and replaced with bike racks due to elimination of baggage car storage.
Funny you say that, I was planning for a bicycle event in Illinois, and the agent told me no way was I bringing a bicycle on the LSL.

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:43 am

arthur d. wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
Funny you say that, I was planning for a bicycle event in Illinois, and the agent told me no way was I bringing a bicycle on the LSL.
I've seen pics on another website. Yes, they have replaced some tables in the cafe with bike racks so the agent was incorrect.

bratkinson

Post by bratkinson » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 pm

bostontrainguy wrote: I've seen pics on another website. Yes, they have replaced some tables in the cafe with bike racks so the agent was incorrect.
My original picture aboard LS #449 on April 7 somewhere east of Pittsfield, MA. Resized down to meet attachment requirements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Looks like a lot of effort went into the design of those Bike racks. The agent may have mean't the bike racks were reserved out .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:49 pm

bostontrainguy wrote:Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?
When you lose money on food service and can’t feasibly make it up through volume, removing cafe/lounge functionality and using it for another profit center (? Do they charge for bikes?) is a feature for Amtrak, not a bug.

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:12 pm

mtuandrew wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?
When you lose money on food service and can’t feasibly make it up through volume, removing cafe/lounge functionality and using it for another profit center (? Do they charge for bikes?) is a feature for Amtrak, not a bug.
It's a "CAFE/LOUNGE" car, not a baggage car. Keep taking away the niceties of train travel and people will just drive themselves to where they have to go.

BAR

Post by BAR » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:02 pm

From many trips on Amtrak my experience is that several booths in the lounge cars are usually taken up by the train crew and sometimes by train crews deadheading or travelling home This already limits seating for passengers and bike racks further limit seating. Bike racks in the lounge car make no sense to me.

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm

BTG: I agree! I’m less likely to travel by train if I can’t walk to the cafe, spend some time, and get an overpriced snack. Ought to be bike racks in a combine/business car with a crew office as BAR points out is needed. Of course, it’s better - marginally - than taking out seating or reducing leg room.

BandA

Post by BandA » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Wasn't there a car at one time with work space for the crew? I think it was called a caboose.

Return to “Amtrak”