Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1507104  by arthur d.

Was about to book travel on 448/449 today when the agent informed me that the trains have lost their baggage cars. Checked bags between BOS and CHI will now be routed through WAS. Can anyone confirm this?
 #1507112  by Matt Johnson

arthur d. wrote:Was about to book travel on 448/449 today when the agent informed me that the trains have lost their baggage cars. Checked bags between BOS and CHI will now be routed through WAS. Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed, and in another typical Anderson-era initiative, several of the tables and chairs in the cafe car have been removed and replaced with bike racks due to elimination of baggage car storage.
 #1507123  by Backshophoss

448/449 was the test case for the View II bag-Dorms,put them in service! not storage in Fl. :(
 #1507129  by arthur d.

Matt Johnson wrote:
arthur d. wrote:Was about to book travel on 448/449 today when the agent informed me that the trains have lost their baggage cars. Checked bags between BOS and CHI will now be routed through WAS. Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed, and in another typical Anderson-era initiative, several of the tables and chairs in the cafe car have been removed and replaced with bike racks due to elimination of baggage car storage.
Funny you say that, I was planning for a bicycle event in Illinois, and the agent told me no way was I bringing a bicycle on the LSL.
 #1507143  by bostontrainguy

arthur d. wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
Funny you say that, I was planning for a bicycle event in Illinois, and the agent told me no way was I bringing a bicycle on the LSL.
I've seen pics on another website. Yes, they have replaced some tables in the cafe with bike racks so the agent was incorrect.
 #1507275  by bratkinson

bostontrainguy wrote: I've seen pics on another website. Yes, they have replaced some tables in the cafe with bike racks so the agent was incorrect.
My original picture aboard LS #449 on April 7 somewhere east of Pittsfield, MA. Resized down to meet attachment requirements.
 #1507282  by bostontrainguy

Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?
 #1507371  by mtuandrew

bostontrainguy wrote:Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?
When you lose money on food service and can’t feasibly make it up through volume, removing cafe/lounge functionality and using it for another profit center (? Do they charge for bikes?) is a feature for Amtrak, not a bug.
 #1507373  by bostontrainguy

mtuandrew wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Still seems ridiculous to me. Doesn't look like a very comfortable environment to enjoy your meal or drink. And also why didn't they remove the seats at the end of the car instead of towards the center?
When you lose money on food service and can’t feasibly make it up through volume, removing cafe/lounge functionality and using it for another profit center (? Do they charge for bikes?) is a feature for Amtrak, not a bug.
It's a "CAFE/LOUNGE" car, not a baggage car. Keep taking away the niceties of train travel and people will just drive themselves to where they have to go.
 #1507377  by BAR

From many trips on Amtrak my experience is that several booths in the lounge cars are usually taken up by the train crew and sometimes by train crews deadheading or travelling home This already limits seating for passengers and bike racks further limit seating. Bike racks in the lounge car make no sense to me.
 #1507387  by mtuandrew

BTG: I agree! I’m less likely to travel by train if I can’t walk to the cafe, spend some time, and get an overpriced snack. Ought to be bike racks in a combine/business car with a crew office as BAR points out is needed. Of course, it’s better - marginally - than taking out seating or reducing leg room.
 #1507399  by BandA

Wasn't there a car at one time with work space for the crew? I think it was called a caboose.