Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NEC Virginia Regional Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#652147  by Jishnu

Viriginia DOT has a nice web page covering Virginia's Rail Plan. This includes the various phases of the Trans-Dominion Express Plan. What is being addressed at present is Phase I. It also includes plans for the Southeast High Speed Corridor which will connect Washington DC to Raleigh NC using the alignment of the S-Line.
 #652185  by george matthews

Here's the site to the proposal cited above: http://www.tdxinfo.org/ Proposes to use "European style" trainsets. A video references Amtrak's Pacific NW corridor and Talgo equipment. However, in the FAQ section they only state the project is for capital expenses such as track upgrades and stations, and that the trainsets are to be leased or purchased over a number of years.
That's a bit vague. There are probably hundreds of different types of car in Europe. For example there are several types of doubledecker for commuter and short distance use; many different types for longer distance;mmany types of EMU and DMU for all kinds of use.
 #652200  by bmvguye39

No bias here but It would be an even better idea if they were to extend the Lynchburg train on down to Bristol and Knoxville so I could go home by train every now and then or even run it out across following the route of the old Southern Railway Tennessean... or perhaps offer a split of the Crescent with a parallel route down from Lynchburg through East Tennessee and back down to Atlanta to connect back up with the main section as there are alot of travelers that would find the Knoxville Atlanta connection quite amenable. Just an idea but at least Lynchburg is getting a little closer.
 #652230  by hi55us

bmvguye39 wrote:No bias here but It would be an even better idea if they were to extend the Lynchburg train on down to Bristol and Knoxville so I could go home by train every now and then or even run it out across following the route of the old Southern Railway Tennessean... or perhaps offer a split of the Crescent with a parallel route down from Lynchburg through East Tennessee and back down to Atlanta to connect back up with the main section as there are alot of travelers that would find the Knoxville Atlanta connection quite amenable. Just an idea but at least Lynchburg is getting a little closer.
This effort is being funded by the state of Virginia, not Tennessee, I'm sure that @ a price Tenessee could have service to Knoxville.
 #652431  by mtuandrew

hi55us wrote:This effort is being funded by the state of Virginia, not Tennessee, I'm sure that @ a price Tenessee could have service to Knoxville.
For that matter, for a price there could be a full Trans-Tennessee Express from Bristol through Knoxville, then straight across to Nashville and Memphis. So far though, not even NARP has that on their radar.

Good first start for Virginia - hopefully they'll inspire other gateway states to take more steps than they already have.
 #652922  by bmvguye39

Well there is plenty of money floating around, perhaps Joe and Barack can have some more printed for distribution to all the states specifically for Amtrak expansion.... doubtful...but I am impressed at some of the monies flowing through thus far so perhaps more southeast routes will become possible in the future.
 #652929  by railohio

mtuandrew wrote:For that matter, for a price there could be a full Trans-Tennessee Express from Bristol through Knoxville, then straight across to Nashville and Memphis. So far though, not even NARP has that on their radar.
"You can't get there from here." If the old Tennessee Central isn't ripped out yet it's a ten mile-an-hour branch that potentially has trees growing between the ties by now in spots. Any train across the state would need to take a lengthy dogleg down through Chattanooga to go west of Knoxville.
 #652940  by bmvguye39

well, as an original extension of the VA train, a continuance of a North South train would probably be more suitable and feasible as I originally suggested through Knoxville - Chattanooga - Atlanta from Lynchburg but kudos to VA for getting more train service.
 #652960  by warren1949

railohio wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:For that matter, for a price there could be a full Trans-Tennessee Express from Bristol through Knoxville, then straight across to Nashville and Memphis. So far though, not even NARP has that on their radar.
"You can't get there from here." If the old Tennessee Central isn't ripped out yet it's a ten mile-an-hour branch that potentially has trees growing between the ties by now in spots. Any train across the state would need to take a lengthy dogleg down through Chattanooga to go west of Knoxville.

At some point in time, if the country is really serious about passenger rail, we are going to have to acknowledge the fact that these old rights of way are going to need some significant upgrades. Not just some brush clearing and new hardware, but some serious re-engineering that would include straightening, tunnels, bridges, trestles, and grade separations. I just read the 2006 Missouri Department Transportation requested feasibility study of the St. Louis to Springfield, MO (and Branson area). Because the current right of way goes through the northern Ozark hills (BNSF...the former Frisco line), the average speed would be something just above 40 mph for the 200 mile route....not very attractive. This line is a good example of what exists all across the US. These routes were built in the late 19th, early 20th century, with only minimal upgrades since.

For rail travel to be taken seriously, we need to undertake the building of rail infrastructure that rivals what we did with the interstate highway system. It seems to me that not only would this benefit passenger rail, but would also increase the efficiency of freight movement. Obviously, if we are rebuilding rights of way, it would be foolish to not include separate capacity for freight. To me, there is little doubt that existing rights of way can be utilized much of the time, but in places like Virginia, Tennessee or the Ozarks, the notion that 30 mph speeds are acceptable should be dismissed out of hand. We have long had the technology to build tunnels.....modern tunnels can be built relatively quickly and efficiently. It would be comparable to going to the moon.
Last edited by warren1949 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #653115  by jp1822

If Amtrak got a little more serious with the Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor it would not only branch to Raleigh, NC, but continue down the Atlantic Coast Line whereby we'd have a high speed network of trains from say Miami to Boston. One could equally say the same for the West Coast - San Diego to Seattle. I just have hesitation believing anything will become of high speed rail beyond some "fixups" on the NEC. Many plans and suggestions have been made. Things seemed to get serious in the 1990s on paper, but nothing ever came to be.
 #653124  by Greg Moore

warren1949 wrote: At some point in time, if the country is really serious about passenger rail, we are going to have to acknowledge the fact that these old rights of way are going to need some significant upgrades. Not just some brush clearing and new hardware, but some serious re-engineering that would include straightening, tunnels, bridges, trestles, and grade separations. I just read the 2006 Missouri Department Transportation requested feasibility study of the St. Louis to Springfield, MO (and Branson area). Because the current right of way goes through the northern Ozark hills (BNSF...the former Frisco line), the average speed would be something just above 40 mph for the 200 mile route....not very attractive. This line is a good example of what exists all across the US. These routes were built in the late 19th, early 20th century, with only minimal upgrades since.

For rail travel to be taken seriously, we need to undertake the building of rail infrastructure that rivals what we did with the interstate highway system. It seems to me that not only would this benefit passenger rail, but would also increase the efficiency of freight movement. Obviously, if we are rebuilding rights of way, it would be foolish to not include separate capacity for freight. To me, there is little doubt that existing rights of way can be utilized much of the time, but in places like Tennessee or the Ozarks, the notion that 30 mph speeds are acceptable should be dismissed out of hand. We have long had the technology to build tunnels.....modern tunnels can be built relatively quickly and efficiently. It would be comparable to going to the moon.
Trains magazine within the last year or so had an article on some major tunnels being dug in Switzerland to upgrade their rail system. I think what they're spending on those tunnels alone is more than the entire rail targetted stimulus package for the entire US. They take rail seriously.
 #653154  by george matthews

Trains magazine within the last year or so had an article on some major tunnels being dug in Switzerland to upgrade their rail system. I think what they're spending on those tunnels alone is more than the entire rail targetted stimulus package for the entire US. They take rail seriously.
One reason for those new base tunnels is to get large lorries off the roads. Switzerland wishes to tackle air pollution by taking road traffic through the country by train. The new tunnels will be big enough to carry lorries on trains. Switzerland is a major traffic route between Germany and Italy.
 #653207  by MudLake

george matthews wrote:
One reason for those new base tunnels is to get large lorries off the roads. Switzerland wishes to tackle air pollution by taking road traffic through the country by train. The new tunnels will be big enough to carry lorries on trains. Switzerland is a major traffic route between Germany and Italy.
And a laudable goal that is. The St. Gotthard Tunnel is single lane each direction which strikes me as a rather horrific concept. The sooner they can get vehicles out of that thing the better.