Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1452263  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity:

HICKORY CREEK and NEW YORK CENTRAL 3 will travel from NYP to ALB and return to NYP on December 2nd, northbound on train 233 and southbound on train 244. I believe HICKORY CREEK will be rearmost and NYC 3 second from rear in both directions. The HICKORY CREEK trip is to commemorate the final run of the Twentieth Century Limited in December 1967, fifty years ago; for NYC 3, it is a private charter.
 #1453220  by John_Perkowski

Train2009 wrote:Lucky (800393), Grammy (800034), Good Doctor (800628), Clara (800751) came into NYP early this evening on a very late train #98 of 12/1.
Pray tell, whose cars are these? I have never heard of these names before.
 #1453317  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote:
Train2009 wrote:Lucky (800393), Grammy (800034), Good Doctor (800628), Clara (800751) came into NYP early this evening on a very late train #98 of 12/1.
Pray tell, whose cars are these? I have never heard of these names before.
All of these cars are owned by David Winters. I have not actually seen the names applied to these cars, or seen the names applied to these cars in a recent clear photo.

He also expanded his fleet by buying two RBBX cars earlier this year. Those two cars are in storage at a short line, awaiting all necessary work and inspections to certify them on the Amtrak system.
 #1453715  by Tadman

Here's a handful of finds at a shops behind the KCS yard in NOLA. Not sure how road-ready they are (some clearly aren't). There are perhaps 8-10 cars visible, mostly Budd, all lightweight. They are easy to photograph and see from the road, please do not trespass if you drive by.

Ex NYC Observation Babbling Brook

Unknown Budd baggage lounge? dorm? coach?

Ex-UP dome, probably lounge, and unknown slumbercoach

Budd built dome
 #1454176  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote:Here's a handful of finds at a shops behind the KCS yard in NOLA. Not sure how road-ready they are (some clearly aren't). There are perhaps 8-10 cars visible, mostly Budd, all lightweight. They are easy to photograph and see from the road, please do not trespass if you drive by.
The passenger car shop is operated by Pete Messina in a facility leased from KCS. He has worked on many cars in the KCS executive fleet, and other privately owned passenger cars. He also performs Amtrak inspections on private cars.
Tadman wrote:Ex NYC Observation Babbling Brook
The car in the photo is actually BONNIE BROOK, a NYC sister to BABBLING BROOK. I believe it is still owned by New Orleans Chapter NRHS.
Tadman wrote:Unknown Budd baggage lounge? dorm? coach?
Budd built former NYC baggage dorm. I believe it is owned by Pete Messina.
Tadman wrote:Ex-UP dome, probably lounge, and unknown slumbercoach
The dome lounge observation is former UP 9002, AutoTrain 902 and NYS&W 902. Was often referred to as "The Popemobile" when on NYS&W due to the modifications they made to the observation end of the car. Owned by David Winters.

The 24-8 slumbercoach is LOCH NESS, a former NP North Coast Limited car. Owned by Webb Rail, LLC.
Tadman wrote:Budd built dome
The Budd dome is a former NP North Coast Limited dome sleeper (4 double bedrooms, 4 single bedrooms, 4 roomettes), owned by Webb Rail, LLC. It is one of the "as built" dome sleepers that did not receive the dome "Lounge in the Sky" conversion in 1967. It is either NP 309 or 313. The car is awaiting refurbishment and certification for use on the Amtrak system. Currently planned to be ready for service in 2019.
 #1454821  by jhdeasy

chuchubob wrote:Train 56 Vermonter had COLONIAL CRAFTS on the rear.
Well ChuChu Bob, that PV movement gave you something special to do on a cold Stephen's Day - Boxing Day.

This move on the Vermonter required special approval because it required slowing the train to a maximum authorized speed of 110 between WAS and NYP. However there is enough dwell time and slack in the schedule that they could easily be back on time by NHV, maybe sooner, depending on how long they take to get out of NYP.
 #1454958  by EdSchweppe

jhdeasy wrote:This move on the Vermonter required special approval because it required slowing the train to a maximum authorized speed of 110 between WAS and NYP. However there is enough dwell time and slack in the schedule that they could easily be back on time by NHV, maybe sooner, depending on how long they take to get out of NYP.
I'm curious: once all the Heritage diners (with their associated speed restrictions) are gone, will PV movements between NYP and WAS still be allowed on the NEC LDs (Crescent, Silvers, etc.)?
 #1455001  by Amtrak706

EdSchweppe wrote:I'm curious: once all the Heritage diners (with their associated speed restrictions) are gone, will PV movements between NYP and WAS still be allowed on the NEC LDs (Crescent, Silvers, etc.)?
Viewliner I sleepers are still MAS 110. Not sure why it hasn't happened yet but apparently they still just need paperwork as they are virtually identical to MAS 125 Viewliner IIs and passed a 125mph speed test back in 2014. Once they are MAS 125 then maybe, but that would leave no way for any PVs to get between NYP and WAS outside of a chartered train.