Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1452367  by gokeefe

Dick H wrote:Posters reading the Maine and New Hampshire Fact Sheets may take notice that NNEPRA spent. $9.6 million in Portsmouth NH in FY17.
I think part of this is fuel from Irving.
 #1452377  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:I hope that the trainorders were ready at Reading. All stop for orders, based on the roof signals.
"Proceed express to Yard Limits at N. Sta."
 #1452381  by gokeefe

NNEPRA confirming train #685 for the Friday evening departure.
“We're looking at potentially Friday nights, extending our 5:00 p.m. departure out of Boston all the way up to Rockland then on Saturday and Sunday operating two round trips,” said Patricia Quinn, the NNEPRA’s executive director. “The first one would start out of Brunswick, go up to Rockland and then go all the way to Boston. Then the first train out of Boston on Saturdays and Sundays would go all the way through Rockland and then there'd be one more train in the evening.”
 #1452395  by Arlington

How many empty seats are on 685 at BON on a typical summer Friday?
 #1452418  by Cowford

CN, thanks for posting the links. Very surprised the stats were published so quickly!

Some very interesting issues to point out, the first of which is dubious performance of the Brunswick extension. The service has been operating now for five years. While I don't have the first year's ridership data, subsequent years are available online. In ATK FY17, Ridership on the extension was 17% below ATK FY14, not even breaking 40K riders. That's particularly significant given that NNEPRA was operating six trains/day for 11 months of FY17, and only four trains/day in FY14. To put it in capacity terms... if you conservatively assume zero riders went FRE-BRU, the average load factor east of Portland was 7%. In other words, each train averaged 19 passengers. And each coach averaged 4 occupied seats.

Interestingly, Wells is the only station in Maine that shows ridership growth over FY14. Ridership boomed 41% this year and was 36% over FY14. Any thoughts as to why? Excluding Wells, Maine traffic is down 5% from FY14.

Both NH and MA are faring better, with ridership up 4% and 5%, respectively, vs FY14. Pesky Haverhill has shown steady growth in the last several years. Obviously, MA commuters are piling on to get a faster ride to/from Boston (as much as 24 mins). Any timetable improvement in MBTA territory for the service is going to exacerbate this situation.
 #1452420  by TomNelligan

Cowford wrote:Interestingly, Wells is the only station in Maine that shows ridership growth over FY14. Ridership boomed 41% this year and was 36% over FY14. Any thoughts as to why?
Maybe it's because Wells has easy park-and-ride access from the Maine Turnpike?

Interesting stats on the Brunswick trains. I'm very much a supporter of rail passenger service, but it doesn't make economic sense to run a train for less than a busload of passengers.
 #1452451  by sicariis

I have to imagine those Exeter numbers would top 100k if the station wasn't constrained by limited parking. Right now one can't park at EXR for 681,682,683, 684, or 686 because its full of 680 commuters.

UNH has applied for a $779,200 NH CMAQ grant (+20% local match) for the UNH-Durham intermodal station expansion project.
UNH requests $779,200 of CMAQ funds for transit facility improvement at the UNH-Durham rail station to accommodate increased passenger ridership; facilitate enhanced intermodal bus accomodation and improve site safety and capacity. The current rail passenger platform is inadequately small causing train service delays and less than optimal ADA passenger accommodation. Intercity bus accommodation is limited to single curbside stop. Project goals are to expand rail passenger boarding capacity and intermodal bus accommodation in a cost-effective and context sensitive approach at this historic station facility which has seen ridership grow almost 700% in the past 15 years of Downeaster service.

A 2014-2015 FTA funded alternatives study, which included key constituents and service providers, resulted in recommendations for construction of a new high level (FRA required) platform, real-time passenger information displays (PIDS) bus dock and site changes that would achieve capacity goals. (see supplemental document) Constituents have agreed on a design concept that would achieve project goals and result in expedited Downeaster dwell time and the potential for bike loading in Durham (not possible now) which is a key constituent request.

Requested funding would be used to complete design and engineering; negotiate ROW easements and construct facility and site enhancements. The funding estimate is based on cost-adjusted architect estimates and includes expected ROW and Pan Am oversight. The University has committed to the necessary 20% match for the project
https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevel ... ation3.pdf
 #1452475  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:Some very interesting issues to point out, the first of which is dubious performance of the Brunswick extension. The service has been operating now for five years. While I don't have the first year's ridership data, subsequent years are available online. In ATK FY17, Ridership on the extension was 17% below ATK FY14, not even breaking 40K riders.
Can you clarify those figures? For example what are the figures for ridership statistics on the extension in ATK FY'14?
Cowford wrote:That's particularly significant given that NNEPRA was operating six trains/day for 11 months of FY17, and only four trains/day in FY14. To put it in capacity terms... if you conservatively assume zero riders went FRE-BRU, the average load factor east of Portland was 7%. In other words, each train averaged 19 passengers. And each coach averaged 4 occupied seats.
It's worth noting that one of the arrivals is scheduled at 1:40am. The heavy loads are definitely on the "peak" rush hour trains which regularly see about 60 riders coming in. How do I know this? First hand accounts from the station hosts which I make appointment of asking about passenger counts every time I see them.
Cowford wrote:Interestingly, Wells is the only station in Maine that shows ridership growth over FY14. Ridership boomed 41% this year and was 36% over FY14. Any thoughts as to why? Excluding Wells, Maine traffic is down 5% from FY14.
This is a mystery to me as well and really stuck out. Wells had no big changes in service this year save for two things. Greyhound now stops there and the summer schedule made provision for late departures from North Station on dates when the Red Sox were playing a night game. Other than that it's a complete mystery unless you simply assume that this is a sign of amajor uptick in economic activity (which seems the most sensible explanation). It's worth noting that Wells had stronger ridership than Durham which is pretty incredible when you consider the student population at UNH.
Cowford wrote:Both NH and MA are faring better, with ridership up 4% and 5%, respectively, vs FY14. Pesky Haverhill has shown steady growth in the last several years. Obviously, MA commuters are piling on to get a faster ride to/from Boston (as much as 24 mins). Any timetable improvement in MBTA territory for the service is going to exacerbate this situation.
Indeed it will. Although the schedule may not shift for another few months I would keep an eye on OTP which appears likely to improve significantly as the Massachusetts improvements start to finally deliver on promised benefits.

Others have already rightfully noted that Exeter is so badly sold out that you basically can't take a mid-day train if you need to park at the station. And yet ... they still continue to see some growth.
 #1452476  by gokeefe

TomNelligan wrote:Interesting stats on the Brunswick trains. I'm very much a supporter of rail passenger service, but it doesn't make economic sense to run a train for less than a busload of passengers.
I will withhold comment on the stats but I think it's worth noting that present bus service even with its high frequency service would be sold out constantly if these additional "on average" 23 passengers were present. The buses carry passengers up the Coast and run through to Bangor. They cannot support sufficient service at peak times to accommodate these loads along with passengers for all other destinations.

I think it's also worth remembering that South Station is not necessarily a valid parallel to what the train provides and that for anyone wanting to travel to somewhere other than Boston (Exeter or Haverhill for example) the train is the only option from Brunswick.
 #1452480  by Cowford

Can you clarify those figures? For example what are the figures for ridership statistics on the extension in ATK FY'14?
Sure: 2014 BRU 33,327 / FRE 14,997; 2015 BRU 25,754 / FRE 11,370; 2016 BRU 26,774 / FRE 11,382; 2017 BRU 29,457 / FRE 10,481
The heavy loads are definitely on the "peak" rush hour trains which regularly see about 60 riders coming in.
If that's the case, there is a crapload of trains running to Brunswick empty... the station averages only 40 daily passengers each way.
...it's worth noting that present bus service even with its high frequency service would be sold out constantly if these additional "on average" 23 passengers were present...They cannot support sufficient service at peak times to accommodate these loads along with passengers for all other destinations.
Are you trying to justify the extension by stating that the train serves as a safety valve for bus service?!
 #1452484  by Arlington

sicariis wrote:I have to imagine those Exeter numbers would top 100k if the station wasn't constrained by limited parking. Right now one can't park at EXR for 681,682,683, 684, or 686 because its full of 680 commuters.
UNH has applied for a $779,200 NH CMAQ grant (+20% local match) for the UNH-Durham intermodal station expansion project.
https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevel ... ation3.pdf
Very cool. The diagrams don't quite make it clear that the platform is being extended *under* Main St...a nice setup.
 #1452507  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:Sure: 2014 BRU 33,327 / FRE 14,997; 2015 BRU 25,754 / FRE 11,370; 2016 BRU 26,774 / FRE 11,382; 2017 BRU 29,457 / FRE 10,481
I think the 2014 figures are using the old accounting for monthly passes and never got adjusted for the new system. 2014 was definitely a good year but there is no way that in 2017 Brunswick is off 17% from peak. We will have to go back and check on that. Otherwise from 2015 onwards it's a straight line trend of linear growth for Brunswick with Freeport nearly flatlined at about 10,500 per year.

I don't know why the numbers are so far off but I know the average station counts and this year has been the busiest by far. Brunswick has done well. Freeport had an unfavorable schedule adjustment this year which may still be unresolved in 2018 until Royal Siding is complete. Otherwise that station is underperforming from what I think everyone had hoped.
 #1452508  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:Are you trying to justify the extension by stating that the train serves as a safety valve for bus service?!
Not at all. Simply responding to Tom's comment about "empty trains". 23 "average" passengers at a single station is no small task for a bus. Since the bus doesn't run at 1:40am the figures are somewhat skewed. Those 23 "average" passengers start looking like close to a full busload when you add or subtract frequency. Furthermore not everyone wants to go to South Station (or Logan airport).

The two modes work together. Concord Coach is a Thruway operator for Amtrak. They provide feeder service as well as direct service to points in Boston not served by the Downeaster.