Railroad Forums 

• Train to the Delaware State Fair

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#150420  by hsr_fan

Those AEM-7's sure look small compared to other rolling stock!

#150432  by chuchubob

hsr_fan wrote:Those AEM-7's sure look small compared to other rolling stock!
That's why they were called "Mighty Mouse" before the descriptive name "Toaster" took hold.

Bob

#150553  by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks as always, Mr. Vogel, for allowing us to view your excellent photography.

Most interesting how Amtrak is still agreeable to the operation of a special train to Harrington, but apparently has withdrawn from operating one to the NASCAR Winston Cup event in Dover.

Oh well, I guess it is probably a case of "Thank you, Senator Biden".

As I've noted here in the past, the Del-Mar-Va line is the one that "got away'. When stationed at Dover AFB, Nov 1965 to June 1967, and when the PRR operated a State supported Wilmington-Seaford (equipment operated to Salisbury, but Maryland wasn't "paying up") train, it was always a case of "I'll ride it next break....I'll ride it next break....'

I think one can guess where, during the sixties, that line of tought often lead.
 #424374  by cpontani

I believe Amtrak is being contracted to provide the train service this Saturday from Philadelphia to the Harrington, DE fairgrounds. DelDOT's site says that it's going to hit Claymont, Wilmington, Chruchmans, and Newark before heading south. Does that mean they're going to reverse at Newark? If so, then why would they need to continue down to Georgetown to "reverse"?
 #424389  by NellieBly

These trains have been running since about 1992, when a good friend of mine (who is also a railfan) was Rail Administrator for the State of Delaware.

The first year the train deadheaded out of PHL, made a stop at the (then new) station at Claymont, and ran via the Shellpot Bridge to the Delmarva Secondary, thence to Harrington. For railroad buffs, the train continued on to the wye for the Indian River power station on Conrail's Indian River Secondary, where it was turned to return to Harrington and pick everybody up. The problem, of course, was that there was no stop in Wilmington. So in 1993 and later years, the train has been run "pull-pull" with an engine on each end. It runs from PHL, makes pickups in Wilmington and at Newark, where it changes ends and heads across the Porter Secondary to the Delmarva Secondary, thence to Harrington.

The extension to Georgetown is just for people who want a longer train ride. In the past, they've run to Indian River (as described), all the way to the end of Conrail ownership at Frankford, DE, and down the "main line" from Harrington to Seaford, DE. I was unsuccessful in getting them to consider running to Pocomoke City, MD. The "main line" is full of slow orders, apparently, and anyway PC is in Maryland, not Delaware.
 #1341345  by jp1822

When was the last time it ran? Would be nice, but I don't see it happening, as much as the Delmarva (or at least Delaware) has talked about putting a train in place from either Wilmington to Dover (commuter style) or Philly 30th Street to Snow Hill, MD so as to serve Ocean City.