Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Union Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1477591  by Gilbert B Norman

mtuandrew wrote:Mr. O’Keefe: the caissons are under the Great Hall is which is adjacent but not over the tracks. Heavier trains aren’t an issue, only heavier building superstructure.
Allow me to note, my first hand source happened to be the CEO of CUSCO.

Considering how ostensibly structurally sound buildings can be "built with less" mass than "once upon a time" (of course that convention may have been taken too far with The Towers) and how "retro is in", I'm surprised they didn't want to build what was once planned.

I think Marriott has a "four star" brand, Renaissance, directed at rebuilding older structures with amenities expected at that level. I've stayed at several over the years.
 #1477687  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Considering how ostensibly structurally sound buildings can be "built with less" mass than "once upon a time" (of course that convention may have been taken too far with The Towers) and how "retro is in", I'm surprised they didn't want to build what was once planned.
That thought crossed my mind as well.
 #1477708  by Gilbert B Norman

YES; once again the cassions are sufficient to support the twenty five story structure envisioned - until politics got in the way.
 #1477840  by MisterUptempo

I'm beginning to wonder whether the residential addition planned to sit atop the historic headhouse isn't being built to its originally designed height because Riverside (the developer) has decided to save some of the available square footage for use in Phases 2 and 3.

Riverside/Union Station has 3.1 million square feet to play with, short of purchasing more square footage from the city. The apartments being built in Phase 1 will draw many because of its unique location, but its odd configuration probably means some amenities that are now demanded by upscale renters, like a pool, may be difficult to accommodate, thus limiting the pool of potential residents. The fact that the building is essentially hollow means they aren't burning a lot of that 3.1 million square feet. The original headhouse (which does not count against the 3.1) and the planned structure combined is only 1.1 million sq. ft.

Phase 2 (Amtrak parking garage immediately south of the headhouse) is slated for office. Initially proposed as twin towers (at 750,000 sq. ft each) as part of Goettsch Partners' original master plan, now appears to be a single tower at 1.5 million sq. ft., if recent articles about the project are to be believed. The West Loop is booming, both as a residential neighborhood and as a business destination. I could see Riverside gambling that more of the available square footage would be better spent on the office building, instead of rental units across the street. No renderings were released of Phase 2 yet, so nothing etched in stone.

Phase 3 (over the south tracks) might be limited by the engineering challenges that building over tracks might present, but Riverside recently completed 150 N. Riverside in Chicago, which was built over Union Station's north approach tracks. The building is 1.25 million sq. ft., but due to its cantilevered design, its footprint only occupies 25% of the lot on which it's built. Phase 3 is envisioned as residential or residential/hotel. Long-term plans for Union Station include the possibility of a new concourse over the south tracks (300 South Riverside plan). No idea whether they'd reserve square footage for that possibility, or even if they'd have to.

I also don't know whether the agreement between Riverside and Amtrak cements in place the percentages of residential/hotel/office to be developed, but I would hope both parties are savvy enough to keep their options open. Developer 601W is well on its way towards the restoration of the Old Post Office, which will soon dump another 2.8 million sq. ft. of office space onto the market, and is located just cater-corner from Riverside's proposed Phase 2 office development. That might prompt Riverside to go back to the original two tower concept of Phase 2, but one tower office and one tower residential. Who knows?

ETA - There is always the possibility the shorter addition is in answer to engineering problems. Each side of the four-sided office structure that sits on top of the Great Hall is 50 feet deep. At the presentation for the addition, the architect explained that 50 feet isn't deep enough to accommodate a double-loaded corridor of rental units. The solution was to design the addition so that each side would cantilever over the edge of the headhouse by about 10 feet and also intrude into the light well by about ten feet, thus providing floor plates that are 70 feet deep, making a double-loaded corridor possible. That might also explain why the addition's appearance is akin to stuffing 10 pounds of manure into a 5 pound bag, but I digress. Perhaps the cantilevering places stresses on the existing structure that it wasn't designed to take, and the engineers felt going shorter was the safest way to proceed. Just a wild *ss guess on my part.
 #1477870  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:... the one (Hilton, for the moment) within the O'Hare terminals.
Allow me to note, that the O'Hare Hilton will stay just that. Any reports that another chain was going to assume its management appear to be unfounded at this time. Theregore, please consider the captioned "for the moment" to be redacted.

I stayed there once ('94 IIRC) when a flight showed up at 2AM. Quiet, but still didn't get much in the way of sleep.
 #1482155  by Bob Roberts

I am making my first visit to the new and improved Metropolitan Lounge — I am mightily impressed! Two stories, plenty of space, everything is clean and in good shape, a cash bar! Is this really Amtrak?

While it doesn’t quite equal the majesty of the Philadelphia lounge, its comes close and its much cleaner. I really hope this is a sign of things to come for Amtrak. Forgive the gushing, its just so rare that Amtrak surprises me like this.

I also discovered the Madison street station entrance (it was raining). Its certainly pretty cool for foamers since its down at track level (less coll for non-foamers who might be put off by locamotive noise and diesel exhaust.
 #1482449  by ryanov

2.5 levels actually.

My favorites are the sparking water dispenser, the soda flavor dispenser, and the beautiful showers.
 #1482498  by Greg Moore

ryanov wrote:2.5 levels actually.

My favorites are the sparking water dispenser, the soda flavor dispenser, and the beautiful showers.
My wife STILL raves about the shower!

I didn't try it, but will have to one of these days.
 #1482521  by dumpster.penguin

Bob Roberts wrote:I am making my first visit to the new and improved Metropolitan Lounge — I am mightily impressed! Two stories, plenty of space, everything is clean and in good shape, a cash bar! Is this really Amtrak?
Maybe not entirely. While I was there, we heard announcements that passengers must not bring their own food or beverage into the 2-story waiting area. The caterer of light refreshments had an exclusive arrangement. At that moment, the catered snack was raw (but not fresh) carrot sticks, broccoli, and ranch dressing... and maybe cheese cubes? Anyway, it was pretty good, but frankly, when I disembark from a train ride of 20 hours with no hearty nourishment, and looming before me is the prospect of 20 more hours, what I want is a crispy slab of meat on toast, *steamed* broccoli, and a nice paper cup of beer, not a shriveled-up carrot stick with white wine. One can go elsewhere for that, I suppose, but not in Union Station anymore? I took a stroll to the food court but it was much, much more dismal than the carrot stick.
 #1482764  by Tadman

I've heard the same announcements. Most airline lounges have the same rules, no outside food. What puzzles me is that the food in the lounge is usually free. It's not like we're taking sales away from the free cheese and crackers table. Perhaps it's a mess thing - they might not want people bringing in a slab of ribs or giant hoagie.

If you're really hungry at CUS and want to save some coin, go to Lou Mitchell's across the road. It's a great old greasy spoon with terrific food on the cheap.