Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Railjunkie

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Railjunkie » Thu May 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Railjunkie wrote:I for one hope the train comes back if not there will be quite a few furloughs in the Albany and Buffalo crew bases, not to count the on board service crews..
Mr. Junkie, I'd guess some assignments have been abolished, and has that resulted in any furloughs? Did they maybe just "fatten up" the Extra Board a bit? I'd guess you have been in Engine service now long enough to be safe.
Ive been on two jobs that have been abolished in the past month. First a job I held for 8 years and one just finished tonight. However I have a spot to land for the summer. With this GCT stuff going on this summer there will be two boards in Albany for T&E. One for GCT and a west board for everything else. Short on one side overly full on the other.

There are two engineers set back to conductor and Ive heard of no plans on furloughs, YET.

Amtrak706

Post by Amtrak706 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 am

So here’s a question: after 48 comes in tonight for the last time, is there a plan to get the equipment up to Rensselaer somehow? Is there anything else in Sunnyside that will be stranded?

Railjunkie

Post by Railjunkie » Fri May 25, 2018 8:57 am

Amtrak706 wrote:So here’s a question: after 48 comes in tonight for the last time, is there a plan to get the equipment up to Rensselaer somehow? Is there anything else in Sunnyside that will be stranded?

When 48 arrives Albany it will be a crew change gas and go. All equipment will be straight through to Boston. There is no NY section. 49 tonight will be the last northbound LSL out of Penn till Sept. 4th. The last two trains out of Penn will be tomorrow with 63 and 69. They'll be rolling the RR up behind them.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 am

I'd guess the DV bridge will be swung open and the Bridge Tender positions abolished "for the duration".

Haftaask a dumb question; to what craft are any such Tenders within; where could they exercise seniority and displace someone else?

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm

the bridge is being removed as that is entire reason for Empire connector shutdown. the bridge was last overhauled over 30 years ago .
but hit by several vessels including a barge full of subway cars.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Amtrak706

Post by Amtrak706 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Railjunkie wrote:
Amtrak706 wrote:So here’s a question: after 48 comes in tonight for the last time, is there a plan to get the equipment up to Rensselaer somehow? Is there anything else in Sunnyside that will be stranded?

When 48 arrives Albany it will be a crew change gas and go. All equipment will be straight through to Boston. There is no NY section. 49 tonight will be the last northbound LSL out of Penn till Sept. 4th. The last two trains out of Penn will be tomorrow with 63 and 69. They'll be rolling the RR up behind them.
Well I know that after today, the whole train will run CHI-BOS as you described. But I just saw 48 come past my house towards Penn (which makes sense as today is the last day of regular ops). My question is: what happens to the equipment of 48(24) after it gets in tonight? Will Sunnyside just use it as a Silver Star set or something?

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri May 25, 2018 6:47 pm

How about making like "The Owl" and a deadhead move up to Boston.

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Fri May 25, 2018 8:15 pm

A706: maybe it rotates for a Cardinal to CHI and back into the Lake Shore Limited lineup? Neither has a full diner anymore so there’s no loss.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Fri May 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Since the Cardinal is to terminate at DC for the Penn Station trackwork,could be used as a Silver Starvation relief set. :P
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

Railjunkie

Post by Railjunkie » Sat May 26, 2018 7:49 am

Let the chaos I mean magic begin...

Amtrak706

Post by Amtrak706 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Around 8:30-9AM today, I heard a northbound come by (I am located right by the GW Bridge, where there is a whistle post for southbound going into the deep rock cut under the bridge). I did not see it, unfortunately, but I did hear it well and I can tell you there was a GE unit w/mechanical bell leading and at least 6 cars. This was after 63 and 69 went by. Anyone know what this mystery train was?

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Amtrak706 wrote:Around 8:30-9AM today, I heard a northbound come by (I am located right by the GW Bridge, where there is a whistle post for southbound going into the deep rock cut under the bridge). I did not see it, unfortunately, but I did hear it well and I can tell you there was a GE unit w/mechanical bell leading and at least 6 cars. This was after 63 and 69 went by. Anyone know what this mystery train was?
69 broke down near 72 St and was dragged back into NYP to receive an additional engine.

Dick H

Post by Dick H » Sat May 26, 2018 3:48 pm

That locomotive problem on #69 put it down nearly three hours late into Yonkers.
#69 continued to lose time and was estimated to be four hours late into
Westport NY.

mohawkrailfan

Post by mohawkrailfan » Tue May 29, 2018 10:18 am

Rough morning on the Metz? Looks like 63 left 91 minutes, 69 left 110 minutes late, and they both kept losing time through Croton.
Make a little noise at the flag location.

Ridgefielder

Post by Ridgefielder » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 am

I have to say that its strange to look up at the GCT departure board and see Montreal QC and Toronto ON listed as Hudson Line destinations! :-D

Return to “Amtrak”