Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

User avatar
amtrakhogger
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:16 am
Location: "F" on the Camden and Amboy

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by amtrakhogger » Fri May 11, 2018 6:16 pm

That explains why 63 has had a P42 assigned as of late NYP-TOR.
His train? It's MY train! I know what I'm doing, do you?

BAR
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:43 pm
Location: Williamsburg, VA

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by BAR » Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Checked with Amtrak today to plan a July trip and the agent read me the notification that "passengers are to arrange their own transportation between NYP and GCT."

hs3730
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: Albany NY

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by hs3730 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

From the MARC car thread on LIRR board:
DutchRailnut wrote:on another board it was noted that Amtrak will not be needing the MARC cab cars as sufficient P32acdm's will be modified with escape hatch .
they will all be returned within a few weeks
Does this mean that they will not push-pull into GCT and will instead use the loops?

Railjunkie
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:24 am

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Railjunkie » Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 am

From what Ive heard we will use the cab cars on some trains most likely locals till the shop finishes putting in the emergency evac doors. Cab cars should be gone by late June early July. Trains that have dual modes with the evac doors will be looped.

ryanov
Posts: 4892
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by ryanov » Fri May 18, 2018 1:53 am

Amtrak has now fixed their website, but when I went to book a trip a couple of weeks ago for July on the Lakeshore Limited, there was a very strange train that indicated it ran from NYP to NYG as the transfer option, and I think the number was 2230 and that it left at 8:30a only -- something like that. It now correctly warns you that there's a self transfer.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|

User avatar
GirlOnTheTrain
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by GirlOnTheTrain » Sun May 20, 2018 10:20 am

ryanov wrote: there was a very strange train that indicated it ran from NYP to NYG as the transfer option, and I think the number was 2230 and that it left at 8:30a only -- something like that. It now correctly warns you that there's a self transfer.
IRT 7th Ave to TSQ shuttle with fantastic headways - thank you for riding MTA New York City Transit, and have a great day ;)
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail

Noel Weaver
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Noel Weaver » Tue May 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Here are a couple more tidbits: On Saturday, May 26th, there will be no equipment in GCT for the first two trains out (63 and 69) so these two trains are slated to leave from Penn Station. All of the DM's are slated to get nose doors so the MDOT cab cars will only be used as required until enough diesels are available to cover all of the trains which will probably involved part of June. Trains 48 and 49 will operated to and from Boston and trains of this size have not regularly operated on the B & A since the days of the New England States in the New York Central days. I remember riding the New England States out of Boston to Chicago in the fall of 1962 and it was a first class operation at that time in every respect. Great people, clean cars, on time all the way, great dining car with very good food, class all the way. That year my return was on the PRR and the train was terrible in every respect.
Noel Weaver

UpperHarlemLine4ever
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:29 am
Location: N White Plains, NY

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by UpperHarlemLine4ever » Wed May 23, 2018 1:32 am

No Lake Shore from New York. Typical railroad scam that they've done for years to eliminate a train. 47 years ago, Penn Central/SCL wanted to eliminate a New York to Florida train. The ICC turned down their petition. They turned around and split the train into 2 sections, New York Penn to Washington and Washinton to Florida. They didn't guarantee the connection and low and behold the Florida section would pull out as the Washington section would arrive from New York. Within a few months, the ICC granted a new petition to eliminate the train. Here you'll have people getting frustrated because of a train change and they'll say "Forget this, I'll fly." Ridership will collapse and the LSL will be gone. Anderson will have gotten his way by getting rid of another long distance train.

Railjunkie
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:24 am

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Railjunkie » Wed May 23, 2018 7:44 am

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:No Lake Shore from New York. Typical railroad scam that they've done for years to eliminate a train. 47 years ago, Penn Central/SCL wanted to eliminate a New York to Florida train. The ICC turned down their petition. They turned around and split the train into 2 sections, New York Penn to Washington and Washinton to Florida. They didn't guarantee the connection and low and behold the Florida section would pull out as the Washington section would arrive from New York. Within a few months, the ICC granted a new petition to eliminate the train. Here you'll have people getting frustrated because of a train change and they'll say "Forget this, I'll fly." Ridership will collapse and the LSL will be gone. Anderson will have gotten his way by getting rid of another long distance train.

This was the plan long before Mr Anderson came to power. GCT no longer has the facilities to service long distance trains. Getting sheets blankets ect from Sunnyside to GCT would likely be a logistical problem. Lets see what happens in Sept.

UpperHarlemLine4ever
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:29 am
Location: N White Plains, NY

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by UpperHarlemLine4ever » Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 pm

The final plans for this summer's Empire Service were just recently completed. Regardless, Anderson will have a victory when the LSL is eliminated. He wants basically only corridor trains, with the ultimate elimination of all transcontinental trains. Taxpayer money is being spent on new dining cars which may never be used and new train stations which may not have trains stopping at them.

User avatar
Rockingham Racer
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:25 pm

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Thu May 24, 2018 6:36 am

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:The final plans for this summer's Empire Service were just recently completed. Regardless, Anderson will have a victory when the LSL is eliminated. He wants basically only corridor trains, with the ultimate elimination of all transcontinental trains. Taxpayer money is being spent on new dining cars which may never be used and new train stations which may not have trains stopping at them.
That's not what he said. He said there's room for experiential trains, though not with much enthusiasm. He did not say which ones, and how often experiential trains should run. Now, that could be once-a-week service, as in Australia.

Railjunkie
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:24 am

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Railjunkie » Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:The final plans for this summer's Empire Service were just recently completed. Regardless, Anderson will have a victory when the LSL is eliminated. He wants basically only corridor trains, with the ultimate elimination of all transcontinental trains. Taxpayer money is being spent on new dining cars which may never be used and new train stations which may not have trains stopping at them.

The LSL plan was set up this past winter. How might I know?? Well it effected my job... Albany wanted to run trains as far as Yonkers and return. Metro North said they couldnt handle the influx of passengers. So about 50 engineers and conductors are now qualified to GCT. This has been the plan since sometime in Feburary or March.

I for one hope the train comes back if not there will be quite a few furloughs in the Albany and Buffalo crew bases, not to count the on boars service crews..

jhdeasy
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by jhdeasy » Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 am

Do not expect to see many private cars on Amtrak in New York State this summer.

No private cars allowed south of ALB during the diversion to/from GCT, by mutual agreement of Amtrak and Metro North.

Private cars allowed on/off at ALB on only those trains that change locomotives at ALB. That means no Rutland and no Niagara Falls. Montreal, Toronto, Boston and Chicago should be okay.

JimBoylan
Posts: 3318
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:33 pm

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by JimBoylan » Thu May 24, 2018 6:34 pm

That could mean that Private Cars will only be handled on the head ends of trains if the cars are to be switched at Albany.

Gilbert B Norman
Posts: 14081
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:52 am
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL (BNSF Chicago Sub; MP 18.71)

Re: Empire Service this summer

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Railjunkie wrote:I for one hope the train comes back if not there will be quite a few furloughs in the Albany and Buffalo crew bases, not to count the on boars service crews..
Mr. Junkie, I'd guess some assignments have been abolished, and has that resulted in any furloughs? Did they maybe just "fatten up" the Extra Board a bit? I'd guess you have been in Engine service now long enough to be safe.

Return to “Amtrak”