Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1516882  by Ridgefielder

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 amAs for HUD and RHI the hysterical societies will have a say in what happens in both those stations, they have talked about high level platforms at both for years. I could see it happening at RHI before HUD. Hudson will require a pedestrian bridge and clearance not only for trains on tracks one and two but also the siding into the yard and wye. I believe hoppers of grain still go up the hill, but with CSX you never know for sure.
Grain still goes up the hill. Doubt CSX would ever want to p--- off as big a shipper as Archer-Daniels-Midland.
 #1516941  by Railjunkie

Ridgefielder wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm
Railjunkie wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 amAs for HUD and RHI the hysterical societies will have a say in what happens in both those stations, they have talked about high level platforms at both for years. I could see it happening at RHI before HUD. Hudson will require a pedestrian bridge and clearance not only for trains on tracks one and two but also the siding into the yard and wye. I believe hoppers of grain still go up the hill, but with CSX you never know for sure.
Grain still goes up the hill. Doubt CSX would ever want to p--- off as big a shipper as Archer-Daniels-Midland.
Actually there was/is talk of CSX dumping the yard and tracks up to ADM.
 #1516967  by Ridgefielder

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:22 am
Ridgefielder wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm
Actually there was/is talk of CSX dumping the yard and tracks up to ADM.
Dumping = abandoning or dumping = selling/leasing to a shortline operator?
 #1516972  by Arlington

I did a tour of the Erie Canal this past week--and admired that Teddy Roosevelt had built the NY Barge Canal (as Gov) to overlay it.

NY needs this kind of "knit the state together" and "free movement of people" (in a service economy, people are "the goods") thinking again.
 #1518079  by gokeefe

Amtrak and NYSDOT appear to be in the early stages of negotiating an agreement for a state owned equipment pool.
"(I)n parallel to the border clearance efforts, Amtrak has a Request for Proposals (RFP) under way for new train sets to replace the 20-year-old locomotives and 40-year-old railcars currently used on the Adirondack route (along with Empire Service to New York and the Maple Leaf to Toronto), which Amtrak anticipates could enter Adirondack service in the mid-2020s," Toll said in an email.

"While the specifics of the new equipment and their delivery timeline are still under development, Amtrak expects the new equipment to feature larger windows for viewing the world-class Hudson River and Lake Champlain scenery between New York and Montreal, as well as improvements to restrooms, passageways between cars, climate control systems and other key components to maximize customer comfort on the route," Toll added.

Finalizing the purchases of the new equipment, she said, "will require collaboration with our state partner NYSDOT."

Eric Anderson|Business Editor
Until the very last sentence it sounds like they're talking about the Amfleet replacement RFP for the national pool. However, the last sentence appears to strongly imply involvement by NYSDOT which can only mean state owned equipment as the national pool order does not "require collaboration" with a state partner to finalize a purchase.
 #1518088  by DutchRailnut

Think both Amtrak and NYDOT learn their lessons with turbo liners .
 #1518092  by njtmnrrbuff

Past reports have mentioned self propolled trainsets for various state sponsored corridors but I don't think they are needed on the Empire Corridor or any of the long distance daytime trains like the Adirondack and Maple Leaf since many of the stops are more spread out. I could see self propelled trainsets happening on other services such as the shuttles that run between New Haven, Springfield, and Greenfield where the stops are a little closer to each other. As long as if Amtrak has reliable diesels that can accelerate well, that works. I can't wait to be able to look out of bigger windows while enjoying my ride along the majestic Hudson River between New York City and Albany-Rensellaer.
 #1518111  by scoostraw

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:00 am I can't wait to be able to look out of bigger windows while enjoying my ride along the majestic Hudson River between New York City and Albany-Rensellaer.
This was one thing that the old turboliners offered.
 #1518242  by gokeefe

This possible (unconfirmed) equipment acquisition has me wondering ... Would there be any efficiency gains to be had from a cab-coach? I'm assuming the trains have to be turned at NYP, ALB and NFL.
Last edited by gokeefe on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1518246  by David Benton

Seems crazy to have to turn equipment after a 2 hour trip.
As to Dutch's comment, it does seem Amtrak is hamstrung by things that happened 30 years ago . Surely they can move on after 10 years at least.
Even the Acela and Bombardier , what's that, 15 years ago , and to still blacklist a major supplier ???
 #1518282  by Greg Moore

What advantage is there to NOT turning?
In Albany it's a quick run up and out the wye and you're all set. You don't have to deal with customer complaints about seats facing the wrong way and always have the engine leading. No need for a cab car.

In NYP, it's a slightly longer loop around Sunnyside, but similar benefits.

In both cases, you get a chance to service the train outside the station if you wish.

The only real advantage I can see is possibility of running one or more round trips with the same amount of equipment, but this is really only helpful is the time to turn exceeds the time you want to run another scheduled train.