Railroad Forums 

• Disposition of the “Top of the Cap”/Pacific Parlour Cars

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1503609  by John_Perkowski

#1503618  by markhb

For which railroad? I was unable to view the facebook story.
 #1503734  by Tadman

Glad to see they went to a good home. I just wish SRI would do a few runs out of Detroit or Chicago, Owosso is in the middle of nowhere. Obviously Chicago or Detroit is a large undertaking requiring Class 1 cooperation, which is a big ask.
 #1503993  by Gilbert B Norman

For the benefit of those around here, such as myself, who live life quite well without Facebook, here is TRAINS Newswire report on the acquisition:

Fair Use:
OWOSSO, Mich. – Two Amtrak Pacific Parlour Cars will soon join Steam Railroading Institute’s passenger car fleet. The cars were built as Santa Fe Hi-level lounges by the Budd Co. in 1956 and used until last year by Amtrak on the Coast Starlight.

They are set to become “Pere Marquette Parlor” first class cars on the Institute’s popular North Pole Express holiday excursions behind 2-8-4 No. 1225, the engine that starred in the Polar Express movie and books. The Steam Railroading Institute, owners of PM 1225, have purchased two Pacific Parlor Cars, one of them being 39975 Williamette Valley (confirmed by Trains) and the other rumored to be 39970 Columbia Valley.
 #1557148  by Pensyfan19

As caught by Virtual Railfan, Pacific Parlor Cars Santa Lucia Highlands and Sonoma Valley have been spotted on the back of a Texas Eagle on November 18. After doing research, it is likely that they will be going to Dallas Texas, but I am not sure why. Is this for storage, scrappage, or for preservation of the two cars?
 #1557151  by Matt Johnson

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:36 pm After doing research, it is likely that they will be going to Dallas Texas, but I am not sure why. Is this for storage, scrappage, or for preservation of the two cars?
Headed to the Dallas Terminal Railroad, which from what I've gathered isn't much of a railroad but has a collection of ex-Santa Fe hi-levels, so maybe there's some plan for future use.