Seattle Car Storage

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

theseaandalifesaver

Seattle Car Storage

Post by theseaandalifesaver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Hey y'all,

I frequent the amtrak between Portland and Seattle often and I'm always a little curious as to why there's almost always a single sleeper parked in one of the unused station tracks. I've noticed it a few times and used to think maybe it was being stored for repair but if that was true wouldn't they keep it in the Amtrak yard? There's also always a single engine or two. What's the deal. Is it a crew car for amtrak employees to sleep?

electricron

Re: Seattle Car Storage

Post by electricron » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Hey y'all,

I frequent the amtrak between Portland and Seattle often and I'm always a little curious as to why there's almost always a single sleeper parked in one of the unused station tracks. I've noticed it a few times and used to think maybe it was being stored for repair but if that was true wouldn't they keep it in the Amtrak yard? There's also always a single engine or two. What's the deal. Is it a crew car for amtrak employees to sleep?
Those are probably spares set up in Seattle or Portland in case another needs to be taken out of service. Any spare in Chicago would be two days away, therefore two trains would be running short - not a good thing to do to put sleeper passengers in coach.

Backshophoss

Re: Seattle Car Storage

Post by Backshophoss » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

Most likely that sleeper is the 'Protect" car for the Builder or the Starlight, allows for a "Quick swap out" of a last minute bad order sleeper.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

Return to “Amtrak”