Railroad Forums 

• HQ2 - Amtrak "Up For It"?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1490963  by Gilbert B Norman

Even if Amazon officially remains mum, News Outlets are reporting "the deed is done" - Long Island and Crystal Cities will be HQ2 (addendum: now confirmed).

While the most convenient way between the two "halves" will be the DCA-LGA "Shuttles", Amazon clearly let it be known that mass transportation was to be a factor in their selection process (I think that when Nashville scuttled a mass transit initiative which included rail, there went any hopes they had of a score addendum: there will be a logistics facility), such includes a ready means to "shuttle" between the facilities.

No question whatever, the potential for Amtrak is there, but "will they be up to it?"

The longer projects such as Gateway and A-I replacements remain in limbo, the question remains on the table.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1490979  by EuroStar

I doubt that Amtrak was any consideration in the choice. For something like this, while it is nice that there is an alternative to the air travel, "betting the farm" on a rail link that might have a severe disruption should Portal or the tunnels fail in a major way is not what business planning is all about. Amtrak might see a few extra passengers, but I would not expect anything more. If Amazon wanted to rely on Amtrak they would have ended up in the Hudson Yards (I am not sure if the city offered that location though) as there is still a whole block to develop there. And in DC, the choice would not have been Virginia, but DC itself.
 #1491003  by Greg Moore

Yeah, I'm not sure Amtrak was much of a factor. Though, I would expect some small uptick in passenger rates.

I suspect 99% of their concern of Mass Transit was purely in the local options.

That said, given the problems with the DC Metro, I'd question how well IT can handle the additional loads. Perhaps this means the proposed new Blue Line route up happens. In 30 years ;-)
 #1491061  by R36 Combine Coach

SouthernRailway wrote:Long Island City is right near LaGuardia.
JetBlue's corporate headquarters is in Long Island City, at Queensboro Plaza, at the east end of the Ed Koch (formerly Queensboro) Bridge.
 #1491066  by benboston

I think that Amazon could potentially run a Sunnyside Yards to Potomac Yards Amazon only two stop high-speed train. This wouldn't be that unfeasible if Amazon helped fund projects on the NEC, for example, the Hudson Tubes, Portal Bridge, and electrification of the Potomac Bridge. This would allow for fast travel for Amazon employees. Also, they could build directly above Sunnyside Yards, much like what is being done at Hudson Yards. This would allow for an all-inclusive office space + station for fast travel between DC and NYC.

It was suggested by someone previously that Amazon builds atop Hudson Yards, but in reality, this is already being developed at the moment.

I think that it is very feasible that we will see major developments of transit around these two new Amazon HQs because of what we have seen them do in Seattle, for example, they helped the city build the South Lake Union Streetcar.
 #1491073  by quad50cal

benboston wrote:Also, they could build directly above Sunnyside Yards, much like what is being done at Hudson Yards.
HQ2-LIC isn't going to be built over Sunnyside yards. The Amazon blog announcement has a map showing their new HQ2 on Vernon Blvd - between the LIC ferry dock and the 23rd St Ely Ave subway station. The Governor's announcement also stated that the specific site Amazon is located on 20 acres currently zoned for light manufacturing.

Overall, I wouldn't expect Amtrak to do much with Sunnyside yards. DeBlasio is enthusiastic about redeveloping the yards but that naturally brings him into conflict with Cuomo and the MTA who aren't keen on the idea. Why are they relevant? The MTA owns a minority section of the yard, which is most of the valuable street facing property, effectively giving them veto power on any development.
 #1491078  by GirlOnTheTrain

Court Square is what's going to take a beating - and probably on both the IND and IRT sides, since it's a mystery to me who exactly can afford these luxury high rise apartments that are growing like weeds in LIC. Amtrak is not really going to factor into it much. It remains to be seen if Diblasio's pet project the BQX street car will be hastened because of this. Alas, neither of these have to do with Amtrak ;)
 #1491083  by daybeers

Yikes this will not be good for D.C. Traffic is already some of the worst in the country, and as said above, the Metro is not doing well. There is no way they will be able to handle the numbers. Not to mention the gentrification. Ugh.

Hell, Amazon has enough money to make their own train service!
 #1491086  by R36 Combine Coach

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Alas, neither of these have to do with Amtrak.
LIRR seems more relevant here. Will both LIC and HPA become full-time service to meet with the newly developed and commercialized Long Island City instead of being just peak direction terminals?
 #1491098  by benboston

quad50cal wrote:
benboston wrote:Also, they could build directly above Sunnyside Yards, much like what is being done at Hudson Yards.
HQ2-LIC isn't going to be built over Sunnyside yards. The Amazon blog announcement has a map showing their new HQ2 on Vernon Blvd - between the LIC ferry dock and the 23rd St Ely Ave subway station. The Governor's announcement also stated that the specific site Amazon is located on 20 acres currently zoned for light manufacturing.

Overall, I wouldn't expect Amtrak to do much with Sunnyside yards. DeBlasio is enthusiastic about redeveloping the yards but that naturally brings him into conflict with Cuomo and the MTA who aren't keen on the idea. Why are they relevant? The MTA owns a minority section of the yard, which is most of the valuable street facing property, effectively giving them veto power on any development.
Who owns the air rights?
 #1491099  by benboston

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Alas, neither of these have to do with Amtrak.
LIRR seems more relevant here. Will both LIC and HPA become full-time service to meet with the newly developed and commercialized Long Island City instead of being just peak direction terminals?
I could see Amazon making a new fancy headhouse, like an oculus-style thing.
 #1491100  by benboston

BandA wrote:Just hire Elon Musk's Boring Company to build the Hyperloop between the two sites.
He and Jeff Bezos have beef because of their Space companies.