Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Acela 2150 "Breaks Apart" on NEC in MD 2/6/2018

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1460418  by gokeefe

Triaxle wrote:You'd have to be stepping over the gap at the exact moment it separated to end up in a Wile E Coyote type disaster, and that assumes it separated suddenly.
As I recall Acela is slightly pressurized. The rush of air equalizing with the atmosphere at 125 MPH would probably be more than enough to knock down someone small, frail or distracted. Perhaps most disturbing of all the four recent accidents have all involved different host railroads with a variety of causal factors. What one might describe as a fairly typical grade crossing accident in VA unfortunately involved a VIP train for members of Congress and their staff.

Although safety culture at Amtrak could be a factor in two of the incidents (today and the Cascades) it seems unlikely to be a factor in the Silver Star accident or the Congressional train.

I am starting to wonder if the overall picture points to a weak regulatory framework and that the real reform in addition to completing PTC implementation will be enabling improved safety education and enforcement from the FRA.
 #1460425  by Ridgefielder

gokeefe wrote:I am starting to wonder if the overall picture points to a weak regulatory framework and that the real reform in addition to completing PTC implementation will be enabling improved safety education and enforcement from the FRA.
Perhaps the FRA should spend more time and resources on safety education and enforcement and less time on drawing politically-unbuildable imaginary railroads across New York and Southern New England.
 #1460439  by BlendedBreak

WOW, who shall we blame today Mr.Anderson?

If this was Delta-we would have known all mechanics who had their hands on equipment for the last 5-30 years. But at Amtrak we wait for investigations.

Again, first step in correcting a problem is admitting that there is one.

Oh, and for whomever is unfamiliar, when a train separates and emergency brakes applied automatically, both parts of train should begin immediate deceleration.

Amtrak procedure for separation of Acela train-set?

Oh yes there is no procedure.. so Just say "EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY", answer questions, wait for relief. Easy money day for crew.

So to sum up 2018 operations.. Turboliner trainsets more reliable on per move basis than Acela. OK
 #1460444  by NYCRRson

Man oh man are they ever lucky the back half of that thing didn't dig into the railbed or roll over, YIKES..... And if another train passed in the opposite direction... Double YIKES...

Greyhound dosen't look too bad all of a sudden....
 #1460450  by Gilbert B Norman

All told, Amtrak "owns" this incident to the same extent as they "own" Frankford Jct and Chester.

With a safety culture so in place within the Air Transport industry, that avoided any fatalities WORLDWIDE last year, Mr. Anderson must wonder...WHY?...and "I'm only paid a dollar a year to oversee this cesspool".

Finally, anyone know to what extent the NTSB will have jurisdiction over this incident. or will they investigate only at Amtrak's invitation?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1460479  by David Benton

Surprising there were only 52 passengers on-board. I guess it shows the difficulty in getting pricing right for a corridor service.
As for the cause , when you get a pin and a hole , you get a opportunity for uneven stresses on the pin. You often see uneven wear on the pin , but in the right circumstances the force could shear the pin , without previous signs of wear.
 #1460483  by daybeers

Ridgefielder wrote:
gokeefe wrote:I am starting to wonder if the overall picture points to a weak regulatory framework and that the real reform in addition to completing PTC implementation will be enabling improved safety education and enforcement from the FRA.
Perhaps the FRA should spend more time and resources on safety education and enforcement and less time on drawing politically-unbuildable imaginary railroads across New York and Southern New England.
This is an incredibly excellent point, sir! I completely agree.
 #1460494  by johnpbarlow

The video accompanying this NY CBS Local on-line news article shows a side view of the Acela separation at the 0:50 second mark. There are cables/hoses several feet higher than the draw bar that seem to have remained connected although they are understandably taut. But cabling/hoses in the vicinity of the draw bar seem to be disconnected (and dragging on the track?). Which cables/hoses shown in the video clip are air brake hoses and which are MU/HEP cables? I'm guessing the air hoses are near the draw bar while the electrical cabling is higher up?

What would the engineer have observed when this partial separation occurred - emergency brake application?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/02/06/ ... -separate/
Attachments:
Acela separation.JPG
Acela separation.JPG (63.36 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
 #1460505  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

What? Freight trains separate while in motion, too? Who woulda thunk it.

Freight trains separating at speed really isn't news, however, unless it happens in front of that monetized youtuber from florida, you know, that dumb guy who superimposes videos to make things look like near misses at diamonds. He needs video rubberneckers to help pay for his railfanning.

The media is on it because you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.
Last edited by Roscoe P. Coaltrain on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.