Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak GOP Charter Train hits garbage/dumpster truck in VA

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1459364  by adamj023

Cameron Wolk wrote:Some online sources (social media) are saying the truck was literally parked on the tracks, I hope this wasn't an intentional act. Looking at the crossing itself I'm not too sure how the driver could not have seen or heard the train coming. I assume he also had no situational awareness like all recent incidents.
Considering the Whitehouse was notified, I am more than sure they will investigate the incident. I am not placing judgment here and don’t think its prudent to discuss the matter further at this time. My own bias and knowledge shows me I can’t answer this question.
 #1459371  by amtrakhogger

The train has been run back to Charlottesville (without the 145) to discharge the Congressmen to alternative transportation.
 #1459373  by D40LF

Does anyone else think its a little unwise to have this many government officials and politicians traveling together at the same time? I'm not suggesting any crazy conspiracies about this accident, but I think that this kind of setup has inherent security flaws (whether they are traveling by plane, train, bus, or boat).

Also does anyone know how fast it was going? I don't think it was as high as some are saying (70mph).
 #1459376  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The title of this topic should be "Amtrak GOP Charter Train hits garbage truck in VA"

There are many news outlets reporting about this accident - an example:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3790402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not speculate until more information is forthcoming about the actual cause of this collision.
Some of the social media posts about this incident look to be pure nonsense...

MACTRAXX
 #1459377  by Jeff Smith

ADMIN NOTE: Thanks everyone for keeping it about the incident so far. I understand we all have political opinions, but let's keep it to a low roar. And I'm sure we'll get the usual PTC argument, which to our eyes will or may seem ill-informed. Note: politics are NOT ruled out, and I'm sure politicians will have their, um, usual observations, which are fair game (see: PTC above).

Thanks again, folks. We have some of the best members in the railroader and railfan community. Let's show we can discuss it rationally, and remember that a life was lost, and people were injured. Whose fault it was is a matter to be determined, and we can speculate, but remember there are families, loved ones, etc. when commenting.

Myself and moderators will delete without notice comments that cross that line. I appreciate how you may feel a certain way, but as a forum, we can't allow it.

-Jeff
 #1459379  by glennk419

D40LF wrote:Also does anyone know how fast it was going? I don't think it was as high as some are saying (70mph).
Given the profile and multiple curves in the ROW, 70 MPH does seem excessive but that is simply an estimate from some onboard.
 #1459385  by litz

All -- consider the length of time/distance it takes a train at speed to stop ...

The crossing you see in those photos with the cab of the truck is probably (in fact almost assuredly is) not the crossing where the accident occurred ... you'd have to backtrack for the actual impact point.
 #1459392  by Hux

MCL1981 wrote:Random politically motivated speculation on social media should be ignored.

There are no gates and it is on a blind curve. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Croze ... -78.700575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Video I saw had the rear of the train just past the crossing, with a debris field in the foreground. The debris was strewn from right to left, with the truck body at right, and the trash and hopper from center to the left. Also in view are the crossing bucks and lights, and below on the pole the gate arm in the horizontal position. Partially visible is the gate itself, part to the right of an emergency vehicle, and bit on the left.
 #1459394  by glennk419

MCL1981 wrote:Primitive crossing with no gates... on an s-curve curve in the road... surrounded by thick trees and brush... adjacent to an intersection.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Croze ... -78.700575
Latest pictures from the scene show that the crossing does have gates which were activated. The lights were no longer functioning as the the relay hut was destroyed in the crash but the gates were still on the down position.
 #1459425  by glennk419

litz wrote:Isn't the default position for a crossing gate with no power, the lowered position?

(ie: default to the most protective/safe condition)
I'm assuming that the gates were already down and when the hut was obliterated, all cables were also torn out. I'm not sure that counterweighted gates would automatically drop. Any C&S guys on here that might answer that question?