Railroad Forums 

• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1409940  by STrRedWolf

Nicholas Chen wrote:11xx is Amtrak equipment only 10xx is commuter rail equipment.
From the schedule (point bolded):
During the holiday week, Amtrak may use cars
borrowed from commuter rail agencies to run
“Holiday Extra” trains. (These trains are numbered
1054 and higher in the Thanksgiving timetable.)
1100 is greater than 1054. So someone better smack a copy of the train consists up against Amtrak Marketing's head for that statement unless MARC's running in NYC today.
 #1409962  by SouthernRailway

Amtrak seems to price tickets on the commuter train equipment Holiday Extras the same as on regular Amfleet trains.

I would be fine on a NJ Transit bi-level, but on one of the old NJ Transit EMUs? That's pretty rotten!
 #1409995  by STrRedWolf

Can they even get a bi-level through to Penn Station? I'm of the opinion that only the MARC single-levels and such can only get in there.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary Quoting
 #1410005  by Backshophoss

The MARC ML cars are NJT ML II clones,they WILL fit in NY Penn.
Not sure of MARC's "K" car fleet.
 #1410013  by GirlOnTheTrain

SouthernRailway wrote:Amtrak seems to price tickets on the commuter train equipment Holiday Extras the same as on regular Amfleet trains.

I would be fine on a NJ Transit bi-level, but on one of the old NJ Transit EMUs? That's pretty rotten!
Considering all their trains sell out, I guess people are willing to pay anything as long as they get there.
 #1410014  by Amtrak7

Backshophoss wrote:The MARC ML cars are NJT ML II clones,they WILL fit in NY Penn.
They don't fit.
 #1410056  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote:The MARC ML cars are NJT ML II clones,they WILL fit in NY Penn.
You're talking about the Bombardier MARC IV fleet, which is 14' 6", vs the Kawasaki MARC III fleet, which is 15' 6.5". (huh, I thought the VRE-ish MARC IIIs were built by someone else)

I'm guessing no ML's were sent to Amtrak, because MARC can pack more people into them over the single-level MARC IIs for service near DC.
 #1410069  by westernfalls

STrRedWolf wrote: I'm guessing no ML's were sent to Amtrak, because MARC can pack more people into them....
And I'm guessing that Amtrak knows better than to entrain a whole bunch of people with backpacks, luggage, and kids onto anybody's multilevel.
 #1410070  by STrRedWolf

It's mainly that MARC service is packed enough as is, so even with a reduced schedule, the commuter trains are going to be full BAL to WAS. Add the Penn Line's service to BWI Airport, with backpacks/luggage/kids/etc, you got very full trains... and that Amtrak operates MARC on the Penn Line... it comes up to "How much of the NEC staff have been run through the MARC wringer"?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited for nesting quotes of immediately preceding posts.
 #1410199  by donoteat

On NB Regional Extra 1164, just saw another regional SB near Aberdeen with two Horizon coaches - I've never seen those on the NEC before.
 #1410215  by amtrakhogger

Saw Marc 4911 with one cafe and 6-7 Marc coaches eastbound going by shore today around 12pm.
 #1410222  by JimBoylan

The Northbound 98 Silver Star went through Holmesburg Jct. about an hour ago, running about 2 hours late, with 4 sleepers and 6 coaches (plus baggage, Diner, and Cafe - Lounge cars). I think that some of them were extra for the holiday. Earlier, Keystone 664 had 6 coaches, I think that 5 is normal when it's not a holiday.
Last edited by JimBoylan on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.