Silver Star Downgrade and Diner Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

mtuandrew

Re: Silver Star Downgrade and Diner Discussion

Post by mtuandrew » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:50 pm

Woody: solution for Meteor or Star is coming with the SEHSR project, eventually. For daylight Ohio service, the only reasonable alternatives are the ex-PRR and ex-Wabash CHI - TOL via Ft. Wayne and/or a third track with lots of interlockings and long running track tidings for NS, CHI - CLE - PGH and CSX CLE - BUF.

Arlington

Post by Arlington » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:20 pm

The Silver Star seems to have taken longer to resume its normal schedule in November (its delays were high and its costs were low and so were ridership and revenue, suggesting that it had trouble actually running). This generally makes its low costs reflective of whole-train cancellation, not of diner removal.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Sorry if this is off-topic, but it seems relevant.

I just noticed this box of info on the Coast Starlight timetable at Amtrak.com:

Now Available on the Coast Starlight
Just-for-You Express Meal Service
For Coach Passengers

Daily menu featuring specially priced, freshly prepared
lunch and dinner selections with the convenience of
at-seat delivery.

Has this offer been around awhile? I never noticed a mention of this food service option in the diner discussion threads.

bdawe

Post by bdawe » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm

It was available last time I was on the starlight in July, and it became mandatory by the they got to my coach and seat reservations in the dinner had filled up. There weren't options, however.
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations

Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:54 pm

Confirmation has appeared on another board in the form of an Amtrak document stating that the diner removal is officially permanent. Unfortunate, imo, and I hope not a bad omen for the pending Viewliner diner order (which I imagine should be producing some deliveries in the very near future).

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:41 am

Wow . . . that removes a lot of the charm of train travel. Should they have just unbundled the meals from the sleeper fares and tried charging for the meals?

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:51 am

It appears that at "the other board" 91-92 has been renamed "The Silver Starvation".

Even during Seaboard days, the Star was never equal to the Meteor. While of course it offered full service dining, it only had a "communal" Lounge placed mid-train (an Obs with a diaphragm added) and had cars cut and added over the route.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 pm

There are a lot of good options for long distance travelers enroute especially those boarding at major terminals to pickup meals and/or bring something with them. If this means Amtrak has found a solution that keeps ridership stable and reduces losses while still providing a "full service" option then that to me seems like a win-win-win.
gokeefe

Mackensen

Post by Mackensen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 pm

I recall discussion that this was as much about Amtrak not having enough Heritage diners to protect all the single-level LDs as anything else. Was that ever resolved one way or another?

Suburban Station

Post by Suburban Station » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:31 pm

let's hope this means they will start improving the food on the cafe car.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Not really. But I think Amtrak took a look at the positive impact to the bottom line and stable ridership numbers and said "let's keep this going".
gokeefe

Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Mackensen wrote:I recall discussion that this was as much about Amtrak not having enough Heritage diners to protect all the single-level LDs as anything else. Was that ever resolved one way or another?
That's what I thought but it sounds like the change is here to stay. I'll feel better about the future of long distance service overall though when I see some completed Viewliner diners rolling out of Elmira.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:30 pm

I could "survive" a Tampa to Raleigh journey on 92. I'd BYOB ((as I did on Auto Train 52 ( 25)), stop by a Subway for a foot long and chips to go, then either a Panera or Dunkin' for some donuts or pastries. There’s still ice in the Sleepers and Coffee as well.

Biggest problem would be if Roomette, how to chill down my bottle; Bedroom has the sink.

Finally, now that 20 V-Diners instead of 25 will meet the existing LDSL requirements, must wonder what those last five V-Shells will be?

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Biggest problem would be if Roomette, how to chill down my bottle; Bedroom has the sink.
Roomettes have a sink too.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 pm

GBN, they still need to order those 5 diners. You can't under order, it never works out in the long run.

Return to “Amtrak”