Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1457790  by lordsigma12345

Woody wrote:
lordsigma12345 wrote:New Hartford line website http://www.hartfordline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wish their damn map showed "Amtrak Connection to Boston and Albany". But it doesn't.
Only one remote mention of it on their whole website. In the schedule, 448 is listed as an arriving connection at Springfield for southbound Amtrak 479. No mention of 449 at all, and the schedule doesn't have a bar for connections in Springfield for the northbound trains.
 #1457873  by Arborwayfan

What would schedule look like to run SPG ' Greenfield ' PanAm towards Albany? How massive would the track upgrades have to be? PanAm extortionate I know, but maybe less hostile to multiple frequencies than CSX because a less busy route?
 #1457887  by Greg Moore

Rockingham Racer wrote:There really aren't many towns of notable size on either the B&A or the B&M, are there? Pittsfield and Chatham on the B&A would generate some traffic, I think. Pittsfield is touristy, as well. And the old B&M route down to Troy is long gone, too, I think.
Correct. It's B&A or nothing.

B&M is long gone, at least as far as access to Troy and Rensselaer.

Chatham and Pittsfield are both a bit touristy and definitely in the NYC weekender crowd.
 #1457888  by The EGE

Westfield on the B&A would be worthwhile - it's a bit close to Springfield, but fairly large (41,000) and has Westfield State. Not suitable on the LSL, but a MA-centric intercity service should have it as a stop. On the B&M, you have Williamsburg and North Adams close to each other, plus the ex-Amtrak stops at Mechanicville and Watervliet (Troy), but that route is wayyy out of the way from the B&A. If it's ever decided that the B&M is worth passenger service - and honestly I think it could easily support a couple round trips - it'd be better to go the whole way to Boston so you can pick up Millers Falls, Orange, Athol, and Gardner. Not a fast service by any means, but Route 2 is a bear to drive especially in winter.
 #1457905  by Arlington

Please: Pittsfield is best served by increased service to NYP via ALB. The trains follow the valleys and the Turnpikes cross the ridges. The train can win versus I-91 and cannot win versus I-90 (SPG-ALB)
 #1457967  by Jeff Smith

I've once again broadened the scope of the conversation since it's all somewhat tied in. I do, however, want to point out that there is an Inland Route topic as well:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1458082  by Jeff Smith

Yowza: From Trains.com

Brief, fair-use:
CSX reviewing 8,000 miles of rail lines for potential sale

CSX is expected to put a handful of subdivisions on the block every few weeks, according to people familiar with the matter.

Routes under review include:
The former Boston & Albany main and related branch lines in Massachusetts.
 #1458088  by gokeefe

Yeah no kidding ... I'm curious if this is the right topic ... Perhaps it should be a separate discussion as "Potential Sale of ex-B&A" in the New England forum especially given the implications for passenger operations beyond Amtrak and the affected freight only branch lines.

Even if it stays in this forum I would imagine a separate topic is in order (same proposed title) given the understandably lengthy discussion that seems likely to ensue.
 #1458093  by deathtopumpkins

Do we know if the intent is just to sell out to states, etc. to reduce the tax burden, or to sell off entirely to a shortline, competitor, etc.?

And after reading through that list, what ISN'T CSX selling!?