Station News

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Station Aficionado

Station News

Post by Station Aficionado » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 pm

From the fact sheets, here are a few station construction highlights:

Birmingham AL--construction of new station at site of old L&N station to begin in Spring 14.

Denver--Amtrak to return to Union Station in early 14.

Miami--Amtrak to move to Miami Central Station (at the airport) in early 14.

Winter Park FL--new station under construction.

Sandpoint ID--renovation to begin Spring 14.

Dyer IN--this one is a little surprising given recent events--Amtrak supposedly began construction of new station/shelter last month with completion in early 14 (I suspect it'll be similar to the new station in Rensselaer).

Dearborn MI--new station to be complete in mid 2014.

Grand Rapids & Troy MI--new stations to be complete in 2014. Troy has a website devoted to its new stop. The picture indicate that construction was well-advanced in Sept., but they're apparently still negotiating a lease with Amtrak.

St. Paul--Amtrak to move to SPUD by Feb. 14.

Arcadia MO--Amtrak working with town to start service by 2015 (between St. Louis and Poplar Bluff).

Schenectady--construction of new station to begin in 2014. (I had thought this was already under way.)

Rochester--construction of new station to begin in early 14.

Niagara Falls--new station (at least the passenger rail portion) to be completed in 2014.

Longview TX--renovations to be complete by May 14.

White River Jct.--state of VT has bought the station.

I'm sure there are other things I missed, but these are what caught my eye.

hi55us

Re: Station News

Post by hi55us » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 pm

I hope they aren't moving the Winter Park, FL stop outside of downtown. The Winter Park stop is one of the nicest stations in FL IMO.

afiggatt

Post by afiggatt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:13 am

Station Aficionado wrote: Miami--Amtrak to move to Miami Central Station (at the airport) in early 14.
Reading the FY13 Florida fact sheet, it does not actually state when Amtrak will move. What it says is:

"Miami: Florida DOT has begun construction on the $1.5-billion Miami Intermodal Center, which is expected to open early in 2014. It is designed to bring Amtrak, Tri-Rail, Metro Rail, car rentals, and other transportation services together in one location, connected to Miami International Airport by people mover."

Central Station can open without Amtrak, as it likely will. Of course, the fact sheet does not mention the screw-up over the station platform length and that Amtrak Silver trains with additional cars were going to block traffic.

As for Winter Park, FL, a new station is being built as part of the SunRail project. The SunRail info page on the Winter Park station shows the new station is at the same location as the current one. Orlando is getting a 1200' long platform which will handle 13 car long LD trains.

Station Aficionado

Post by Station Aficionado » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:11 am

Good catch--I guess they have to finish extending the platforms in Miami before Amtrak shows up. Also, per GAS, the work at Winter Park began early this year and is to be complete by the end of the year. No idea whether that's really going to happen.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 pm

As I've noted on numerous occasions about this site, there is little benefit beyond placating some local political interests in having Amtrak move to the Miami Intermodal Center.

The only segment of Amtrak passengers that will benefit in the least from such a move are those who desire to rent an auto or those who wish to use a jitney service, such as Shuttle America, to their destination. I doubt if that comprises too many of Amtrak's Miami passenger base.

Taxicabs, livery, and private vehicles may access Amtrak's premises for a reasonable period of time without charge; hardly the case at MIC.

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Remember, there will be connections to many of the public transportation services that serve the Greater Miami Area at MIC, especially the Metrorail, which already serves it. Not everybody who will be travelling by Amtrak to Miami will want to take a cab from the station to their destinations.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Mr. Buff, use of mass transit such as MetroRail to Amtrak is the province of young people. A guess on my part, but I'd hazard that the number of passengers at Miami that wish to use Metrorail, or even a MetroBus that serves the station is about the same as those desiring to rent an auto. Even the Shuttle America jitney does not think serving the Amtrak station at train times 'worth it', for with the station's close proximity to the Airport (KMIA/MIA), if it was worth their while to dispatch a vehicle over there, I'm sure it would be done.

hi55us

Post by hi55us » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 pm

It looks like they have ambitious plans for the Orlando Amtrak/Sunrail station. Is it true that the station is 75% complete as the website states?

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:22 am

That's true about that ratio of public transportation connection probably being equaled to auto users. You still need a car in much of Miami-Dade County, from what I have learned.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Regarding both Mr. Buff and Mr. Hi55's immediate, yes I have used Miami Metro Rail 'to the plane'.

Last March, I had a situation in which my flight home did not leave KMIA until 530P. I was kicked out of my hotel room at 130P, while I did not have Lunch until after I was kicked out, and there were only so many after Lunch Chardonnays I could drink sitting on the hotel's terrace overlooking Biscayne Bay, I took MetroMover from the Arsht Center to Government Center, thence MetroRail to the airport.

While I did meet a couple aboard MetroRail who were returning to the UK after two weeks over here - and they were laden (probably half the stuff they had they could have done without), but for me, all I had was my over-the-shoulder flight bag, which fits quite nicely under a Coach - even a puddle jumper - seat; and I had time to burn.

I commend those Brits for doing what I would not have done; but I submit that mass transit to the plane/Long Distance train is only for the penny pinchers/the hardy/or those trying to prove a point.

Greg Moore

Post by Greg Moore » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote: I commend those Brits for doing what I would not have done; but I submit that mass transit to the plane/Long Distance train is only for the penny pinchers/the hardy/or those trying to prove a point.
And I would submit that places like BWI and NWK prove your submission to be inaccurate. Both support a fairly large number of users that use the train/plane connection.

And pretty much any user of a LD at NYP most likely used some form of mass transit to arrive there.

Perhaps though I'm misunderstanding your premise?
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.

Station Aficionado

Post by Station Aficionado » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:18 pm

See also DCA-very large number of passengers arrive/depart via Metro; same with Washington Union Station. It all depends on the airport and train station and the available transit connections.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:59 pm

OK Mr. Moore, you have a point.

Of course Amtrak passengers use mass transit to get to the train, but they are taking short trips and likely not that laden. I see passenger riding the CTA to O'Hare (I have my 'poor man's way' to ORD used for three of the four flights I've been on this year; BNSF to CUS then CTA Blue Line - my neighbors, who think of O Hare as somewhere you get to by auto simply laugh with 'come on, youre not that broke') and other places, such as Atlanta, of course some are quite laden with stuff they probably could do without. But by and large, these passengers appear able bodied.

My comment was likely directed towards Amtrak Long Distance passengers who in Sleepers tend to be elderly and are taking trips for a longer duration.

Station Aficionado

Post by Station Aficionado » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:My comment was likely directed towards Amtrak Long Distance passengers who in Sleepers tend to be elderly and are taking trips for a longer duration.
On this point, Mr. Norman, you're likely correct. Older folks with multiple pieces of luggage (and sufficient means) are more likely to be deposited at the station/airport by cab or personal car than to arrive via transit (NYP being a possible partial exception). That said, I wonder if even this may change over time. While I may generalize too broadly, many of the older folks now patronizing Amtrak sleepers likely came of an age when transit was at its nadir, and it simply wouldn't occur to many of them that it is a feasible option. Transit use in general is much more favorably viewed by the gen-xers, and -yers and the millenials.

jhdeasy

Post by jhdeasy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Station Aficionado wrote:
Niagara Falls--new station (at least the passenger rail portion) to be completed in 2014.
I'm told that when the new passenger station eventually opens for business at NFL, the trainsets will still be stored and serviced at the current Amtrak station. Private car parking will remain at the current Amtrak station location. Deadhead equipment moves will be required between the current station and the new station, a distance of about a mile.

Return to “Amtrak”