Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

mtuandrew
Posts: 6002
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by mtuandrew » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:51 pm

The SDP40F deserves an honorable mention too, even if Amtrak got some F40PHRs and CF-7s out of the deal. At least the V-IIs seem reliable, durable, and to have good ride qualities after teething, or employees haven’t mentioned faults much if not the case.

ApproachMedium
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by ApproachMedium » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:46 am

mtuandrew wrote:The SDP40F deserves an honorable mention too, even if Amtrak got some F40PHRs and CF-7s out of the deal. At least the V-IIs seem reliable, durable, and to have good ride qualities after teething, or employees haven’t mentioned faults much if not the case.
These ViewIIs have their problems. We already have a bunch of baggage cars that the batteries are dead. So as soon as HEP is off, even with the fancy LED lighting they go pitch black instantly other than the marker lights and brake lights (strange??) It may actually be a battery charger issue for the LVPS system. They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often. They have been regulated to rear of train service because their boat anchor brake response ends up jamming the sleepers around when they are at the head end. So off to the rear they go...

As far as the deliveries go, you'll know when we know and right now we know nothing!!!
No good deed goes unpunished.

bostontrainguy
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by bostontrainguy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 am

ApproachMedium wrote:These ViewIIs have their problems. We already have a bunch of baggage cars that the batteries are dead. So as soon as HEP is off, even with the fancy LED lighting they go pitch black instantly other than the marker lights and brake lights (strange??) It may actually be a battery charger issue for the LVPS system. They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often. They have been regulated to rear of train service because their boat anchor brake response ends up jamming the sleepers around when they are at the head end. So off to the rear they go...

As far as the deliveries go, you'll know when we know and right now we know nothing!!!
I was wondering if the new diners had a battery backup so that you could avoid eating your meal in darkness in DC while they switch engines.

User avatar
Tadman
Posts: 9548
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by Tadman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:10 am

Matt Johnson wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:
But allow me to say, this has been the most "botched" major procurement of equipment Amtrak has confronted within its 47 years of existence.
Assuming the RTL-III Turboliner upgrade doesn't count as major, then I guess it's either this or the Nippon-Sharyo bilevel order. At least this has produced some actual rolling stock, though I guess the other procurement will too in the form of Siemens single level cars.

Any word on where the one bag-dorm went after being delivered?
"most botched" is a lofty title given the unending botches related to government procurement of railcars and engines. Virtually anything not offered off-the-shelf has been a zoo.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

User avatar
Tadman
Posts: 9548
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by Tadman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am

MOD NOTE

Axle count material has been moved to a new thread.

What to do with new diners has been moved to a new thread as well.

Enjoy your weekend!
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

ApproachMedium
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by ApproachMedium » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:38 am

bostontrainguy wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:These ViewIIs have their problems. We already have a bunch of baggage cars that the batteries are dead. So as soon as HEP is off, even with the fancy LED lighting they go pitch black instantly other than the marker lights and brake lights (strange??) It may actually be a battery charger issue for the LVPS system. They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often. They have been regulated to rear of train service because their boat anchor brake response ends up jamming the sleepers around when they are at the head end. So off to the rear they go...

As far as the deliveries go, you'll know when we know and right now we know nothing!!!
I was wondering if the new diners had a battery backup so that you could avoid eating your meal in darkness in DC while they switch engines.

Diners have battery as trains always have had for emergency lighting, the new design allows for all interior lighting to remain lit during HEP disconnect as it is all low voltage LED lighting. The test diner 8400 the lights stayed on for almost 2 days when it first came to sunnyside.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Gilbert B Norman
Posts: 14124
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:52 am
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL (BNSF Chicago Sub; MP 18.71)

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am

Although it appears several "inside sources" have had "lips Ziplocked" of late, other discussion boards have noted that 10 - "Dover" and 11- "Frankfort" are to be released "soon".

As Mr. JP will likely be quick to note over at the "assignment" topic, two more to "sun themselves" at Hialeah.

Bob Roberts
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by Bob Roberts » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am

ApproachMedium wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:They also, even with having the wheel slide protection seem to develop flat spots very often.
Funny you should mention that, I was in downtown Durham last week when the 80 arrived. I could hear a square wheel from several blocks away, so I walked over to watch the train depart and it was clearly coming from the Viewbag. I honestly wondered if the bag was going to make it to the shop.

ApproachMedium
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm

3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
No good deed goes unpunished.

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22255
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by DutchRailnut » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Two engines and Amcafe went up yesterday towards CAF 520-Amcafe-95.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

gokeefe
Posts: 11931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by gokeefe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Well now we know the answer to that question ... Thanks for the update.
gokeefe

User avatar
Matt Johnson
Posts: 4207
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Hazlet, NJ

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by Matt Johnson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 pm

When they get sent to Bear, DE then I'll start to get worried!

ApproachMedium
Posts: 5921
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:When they get sent to Bear, DE then I'll start to get worried!
Nothing is going to Bear DE right now, they are trying to clear Bear out in anticipation of storage of the Acela trainsets as well as maintaining space for winter concrete tie car storage.
No good deed goes unpunished.

daybeers
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: HFD

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by daybeers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Per a reliable source on Amtrak Unlimited, this is incorrect.

mtuandrew
Posts: 6002
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Post by mtuandrew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm

daybeers wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:3 more units are scheduled to leave the plant soon, they are billed to go directly to storage in miami.
Per a reliable source on Amtrak Unlimited, this is incorrect.
AM is a reliable source as well, one who may have access to the scheduled car movements. Maybe we don’t discount him yet?

Return to “Amtrak”