Railroad Forums 

• Radio Term Question

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#883080  by m'borosouthend

I have searched around to no avail. Here in Murfreesboro TN I keep hearing the term "3 step" on the scanner. What exactly does that mean?
Thanks
 #883225  by wrr20891

Three step protection set on the locomotive so the conductor/brakeman can go between the cars to operate angle cocks, lace up air hoses, etc.

The 3 steps are:
Generator Field switch - Off
Independent brake - Set
Reverser - Centered
 #883288  by litz

This is also referred to, on various railroads as rules covering :

"Centered and Set"
"Red Zone"
"In Between"

All mean basically the same thing, just each railroad has their own way of doing things.

I've even heard of railroads where the employee will call to :"Enter Red Zone" or "Go Between", and the engineer will replay "Centered and Set", and stick both hands out the window, holding the reverser handle so the employee can SEE it.

It's all for safety, and frankly while it takes more time, it's worth it.

If you're in there, you do NOT want that train to move!

- litz
 #883736  by Ken W2KB

We are required to use 3-step protection here in NJ on the BR&W. If I need to go between the equipment to couple air hoses, or do other tasks where movement would be dangerous. The engineer cannot take down the three step until I tell him to do so. If I forget to ask him to take it down, and give him a hand signal to move, he will hold up both hands in the window and grin.