Railroad Forums 

• Resurrecting Alco RS3 SAL 1633, aka NYC 8277 - Help

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1338496  by davethegeek

At the Florida RR Museum we are attempting to resurrect our RS3 (SAL 1633/NYC 8277). I have taken lead on the technical stuff and recently we got it started for the first time in about six years -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8i9norN6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now all we need to do is keep it running for more than about 30 seconds. I have found a lot of information on line but right now I am looking for some idea of how to adjust the wipers on our 17MG6 governor. The documentation I have on this governor shows wipers on the rheostats that can be adjusted by loosening a screw and simply rotating the wiper arms. Our rheostats do not have adjustable wiper arms, they are keyed onto the shafts. Can anyone give me a hint as to how to adjust these rheostats for wiper/commutator position? Better yet would be some documentation on this variation of the 17MG6. I'm guessing the shafts have to be loosened and rotated on the internal gears but am loath to tinker with the internal workings of the governor without knowing for sure.

Of course I will be glad to share our findings and progress getting this beast up and running with anyone who's interested. Thanks!
 #1338500  by Alcoman

Dave
I do hope that engine was barred over and prelubed first after 5-6 years. Also I would suggest that 1) change the fuel filters and have plenty on hand as fuel might have algae in it which clogs filters.
2) Get some WD40 and spray the moving parts of the injectors as they be sticking.
3) Put fresh fuel in the tank. If the algae is bad enough, you may have to clean the tank and refill with fresh fuel.
I also have 244 maintenance material if you need it with some updated fuel and water specs. Contact me off forum and I will see if I can help further.
'Alcoman
 #1339541  by davethegeek

Alcoman,
Thanks for your reply. I could not find an email address for you to contact you off the forum - only a link to the AHTS website.
Barred over - yes.
Pre-lubed - no. Others are responsible for the prime mover work - I am a control system guy with modest mechanical skills but no diesel mechanic - and they did not do that.
Spraying the injectors with WD-40 - did that. Liberal use of WD40 elsewhere as the engineer-side lay shaft was extremely bound-up.
We pumped out the old fuel - it was contaminated - and re-filled with new.
Fuel filters were replaced after that.
As of now, engine starts but will not run more than 20-30 seconds in IDLE. We are troubleshooting a lot of issues - bad components in control panel, bad relay contacts in same panels and suspicious of governor, though have repaired several problems with it - cleaned rheostats and fixed a couple bare and broken wires. I really could use the answer to how to adjust governor rheostat arms that appear to be non-adjustable.
I do have a fair amount of documentation but none for the exact version of the 17MG6 governor we have.
If you can give me some way to contact you besides that web site (don't see your email address their either), I would be glad to do that. My email contact info is on the forum.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
dave