Railroad Forums 

• Shore Line Trolley Museum, Branford (East Haven), CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#258116  by pennsy

Hi All,

Took my usual trip to OERM the other day, and it is doing really well. Some interesting changes. They now have a Birthday Party Caboose for the kids to have their parties in. I guess they are now into selective catering. The trolleys are doing well, and the ex- LARY, Los Angeles RY, cars are running. I also got a chance to chat with the fellows that were exercising the Alco RSD-1, even got to ride with them in the cab. As of this week, #2, the 2-6-2 prairie, is still unavailable for excursions. The PCC's are also doing well.

#265771  by FullParallel

Show the ticket lady your Seashore ID card & $20 on the third week-end of every month this summer & you'll get someone to pilot you on a trolley or subway car.
Is this how members of other museums are treated these days??? That wasn't the way I was treated at Seashore my fisrt visit & wasnt the way BERA used to do things. Interesting....

Steve L.

#265783  by StevieC48

NO it shouldnt be. When Im dispatching and a fellow member comes from out of state to visit I roll out the red carpet and schedule the indivual and family some controller time.

#270048  by Mr rt

The Red Carpet is normally rolled up for safe keeping,
so you need to contact us in advance so we can get it ready for you :-)

We had more then a baker's dozen Guest Operators this past week-end.
Sunday it was nine, so we were very busy trying to take care of everyone & maintain regular trips for the public.

This was a good thing because it adds to the membership rolls, and we know all tourist attractions in this area are having trouble with declining attendance.

This doesn't dimish our interest in treating our colleagues with respect & curiosity.

#385412  by Mr rt

former New Orleans #850 is now on a USA tour for the benifit of New Orleans. She's in NYC now & will be traveling to Chicago soon.

No not under her own power ... but last weekend she did make a last trip down our line before she was loaded on a trailer.

#386239  by beglobal

it sounds interesting!!! I´d like to check it out...

#393239  by bellstbarn

The 2007 Members' Day at Shoreline, East Haven, Connecticut, was held on April 28. Quite a few photos now appear in threads on Subchat.com
Try these links:
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=422811
and
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=422342
and perhaps some more if you search.
------
I must especially thank the courtesy, skill, and help shown by the staff of the Dispatcher's Booth and the pilots. Sorry, but I neglected to notice the name of the man who helped me operate 629 west. I am most grateful for the experience. Thanks also to the hours of labor expended by many members to make the day enjoyable.
------------
I have posted about forty photos of Members' Day 2007 at this link:
Joe McMahon

#396116  by Mr rt

Joe, I was there all day ... got home at Midnight.

#401233  by Otto Vondrak

Shoreline Trolley Museum has a two-mile line that is just pure fun to ride and occasionally operate. On certain occasions, volunteers I knew took time out of their schedule to pilot me on a couple of runs. This is not to say that everyone who walks up and wants to pilot a car will be able to do so, but under certain circumstances, it is possible. The collection of cars is very nice, and I enjoy the museum experience. I just hope someday they can operate in the street up to and arround the village green!

-otto-

#401642  by Mr rt

The 3rd week-end of every month, starting in May (i.e. last week-end), is RT/Guest Operator Week-end.
For those who are willing to join the museum for $35 you get to operate a trolley or RT car round trip on the line.

- Sat. May 19, I was the operator of NYC subway car R-17 #6688
- Sun. May 20 it was me & a collegue who operated a NYC subway train (R-9 1689 & Lo-V 5466). Brooklyn PCC 1001 also made a special trip.

Numerios trolleys also operated both day.

Yesterday New Orleans #850 returned from a PR trip for the benifit of that town at NYC & Chicago. June 2nd we're haveing a party to welcome her back.

#442175  by Mr rt

The last RT/Guest Operator Week-end for this year will be Sept. 15 & 16.
We'll use two or three subway cars, depending on the reservations.

New Orleans 850 may be there, she is scheduled to pay a visit to Washington D.C. in early October.

Our (very small) Trackless Trolley line may be in service before the end of the year (rode on Seashores in July).

#534614  by Mr rt

Two news items to report on:

1. Toronto Peter Witt 2898 is going to Boston as part of promotion of tourism in Canada. She may also do some trips on the "High Speed" trolley line there.

2. First "Guest Operator/Rapid Transit" week-end is May 17th & 18th.
This event repeats the 3rd week-end of every month thru the Summer.
Reservations are suggested, particularly on Saturdays.

#534885  by Tom6921

I plan to be in Boston in early July. Hopefully the car will be running on the Mattapan line when I'm there.

#540475  by Mr rt

2898 ... nope, she'll only be there at the end of May,
but you could see her at Branford.
I like the foot operated door closer.