Railroad Forums 

• Are My Locomotive Wheels Worn?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1061440  by MarkVIIIMarc

Hello guys, please bear with me I'm just getting my feet wet.

Last week cleaning out the basement I found some old HO scale equipment. Probably stuff from an circa 1980 starter set and I proceeded to set it up.

I found the silver color (steel?) track to be corroded and sanded the top of the rails clean using mostly 220 grit wrapped around a pencil until it conducted better. The power locomotive I had did not do much but buzz so I ordered a Life Like Diesel EMD GP38-2 -- Low Nose used off an auction site. It runs pretty well but just does not get enough traction to pull any railcars and has trouble hanging up on switches.

Is this just the nature of what I bought or are the wheels worn down?

Thanks in advice for looking and if they are worn is there a rebuild kit?

#1061712  by Backshophoss

The grooves in the wheelsets ae for "traction tires". Any good Model Railroad hobby shop should have replacements.
If you are not near a hobby shop,Walters has them(#192-505,Diesel tires,pkg of 20,$6.95).