Railroad Forums 

• What tool should I use?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1049478  by deandremouse

Yea Im working on a genset project and it's to make this GP38 shell into a BL20CG.

I was using a electric sander/file to file down the filters and fans and such but it was working only so much.

What should I use to file down the radiator grills and cut off the turbo hatch?
A dremel? file?
 #1049483  by Eliphaz

power tools are too fast and create too much heat for working styrene.

use a razor knife to remove most of the material bit by bit, then file or sandpaper stick to finish.
 #1049486  by 3rdrail

I've gotten to enjoy using my Dremel, which offers just about any accesory possible for any job. It's a tool that any model maker should not be without.
 #1049539  by Backshophoss

For the DB fan and grids,Athearn(if you can find it) made a part that replaced that part of the roof with a plain roof and exh stack,slice+
dice a SD-45 shell for the flared radiator section on the roof.
go easy with power tools,and finish with files and sandpaper,take the time needed to do it right.
 #1049582  by deandremouse

Ok, Thanks guys. I have a tube of putty I never used sitting around here somewhere.
 #1051017  by green_elite_cab

Take it easy there! Models are sensitive, no need to use the "big guns" on them.

If you want something removed, drill a series of holes around the perimeter (make sure that none of the holes pass the "border"), and then cut between the holes, "connecting the dots". This is the best way to cut out a particular section, whether its a radiator or a fan. you can use a pinvise for small sections, or a dremel for larger jobs.

remember to use common sense!