Railroad Forums 

• Preferred locomotives for switching layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#68512  by stuart_iowa

for those of you have the small switch yard layouts what your favorite switch units?
i have used various locomotives in my layout from the dd 40 to geep9
but now I have much smaller layout and cannot run the big toys anymore ao I am back tothe 4 alxe units...what do you use??

#68526  by Trackmobile

Power for my 2' x6 1/2' layout is an Athearn GP38-2.It has a Seaboard System paint scheme with CSL ( Chazy Southern Lines ) reporting marks.Using a GP38-2 on such a small layout offered some unique design challenges but I liked the extra design work. :P :P

#68552  by keeper1616

I also use GP-38s on my conrail-based 2' 1/2" x 6' layout. I also have some GP-7/9s and others to mix it up a little bit
 #68639  by Komachi

My layout is still under construction, so technically I'm not running any units on my 2.5' x 12' layout. However, current roster is two ALCo. C-420s, one C-430 and one RS-3.

Most of my fleet will be 4 axle, but I'm going to get some 6 axle units sometime in the near future as I'm going to need horsepower to move those unit grain trains out of the elevators (good ol' Minnesota corn!).

But, it's just the four for now.

#68666  by CRail

I got 2 CSX "big boys" (SD70M and AC4400CW) which just pulls the car behind them of the tracks because they are too long.

aside from that most of mine are old F's and geeps. I also have one lownose GP9.

#68760  by CIOR

I would suggest something like a NW2 from Kato, or SW800 from P2K.
Also, I just purchased 2 GP-7's from Atlas (latest release). These units are ideal for switching layouts.

If your railroad is small, and you only need one or two engines, I might suggest spending a few extra bucks and getting a good top of the line engine. This method can save you a headache down the road.

GP38's are ok, but the main reason you see them on locals is more for the "getting it over the road". This is the same reason you see SW/NW and first generation GP's (like 7's and 9's) on industrial roads, as they don't normally need to move them any distance, but need to get around inside industries.

Its all in what you want though!

#69155  by conrail71

Hey,
CSX commonly uses a pair of GP-40's or 38's to switch Rochester Yard. The "switcher" types seem to be long gone on this part of the railroad. On my layout I will be using everything from Bachmann's Spectrum 44 tonner, LLP2K NYC SW, Athearn GP's and a Bachmann 2-8-0 when the steam bug bites. I always said "use what makes you happy".
 #71650  by jmp883

I guess my layout qualifies as a switching layout. It is definitely a small layout. I use B-B units as primary road power but they do work the yard as well. I also have several EMD SW's that are the primary yard engines, but they've been known to work an occasional road train. My biggest regular power is a pair of SD-45's. They handle my layout curves very well. I also run an E-8 and PA from time to time, they run great but those 85' coaches behind them don't look so good.

Joe P. :-D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29
 #71673  by Paul Cutler III

Nobody's mentioned them yet, but my favorite switcher engine is the Atlas S-1, S-2, S-3, & S-4 Alco switchers. They are, IMHO, the best ones out there as they couple an excellent drive with a very heavy chassis. Result? A very powerful, yet smooth switcher that will pull better than some road power.

If you are into DCC, Tony's Train eXchange (www.tonystrains.com) has special decoders made just for these engines.

I've had mine for 15 years, and I use it constantly. It's even survived two drops to the concrete floor...

Also, the older ones made in Austria (Roco drive) actually have a better drive than the new ones made in China. I've been seeing the old Atlas "yellow box" S-units at shows going for around $40, a nice bargain.

And as far as for over the road use, the New Haven used some of their sixty-five 660Hp S-1's and their twenty-two 1000Hp S-2's as local freight engines all over the southern New England region.

#71691  by EL PARRo

Trainworld is selling P2K S1's for only $30. That's a steal for such a nice locomotive. They also have Spectrum 0-6-0T's for $45. I'm probably going to get an S-1 this Christmas, but until then, switching on my small 5'x9' layout has been left up to my Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler and P2K GP9.

#71740  by Camelback

I have a four by eight but it is more of an industrial switching layout than anything else. Here is what I have on my roster:

Athearn SW-7 -- I paid around twenty-five dollars for this and really like it. It can negotiate the tightest radius and can pull the average five to seven car train well. Because it is an inexpensive loco my kids can use it without me watching.

Athearn GP-9 -- Another workhorse. I paid about twelve dollars for this one brand new.

IHC Camelback or Mother Hubbard -- I break this one out when the kids want to run steam. It can pull a longer train and negotiates all of my industries pretty well.

Atlas Fairbanks Morse H-15-44. This one runs like a clock and performs switching duties well. I keep this in my sock drawer so the kids won't use it.

Atlas RS-3 -- Another great runner. Perfect for my layout.

Stewart SW-12 -- Actually the Stewarts are touchy on tight radius and less than perfect trackwork. I use this one the least of all my locos. It is a fine quality loco, though. If your trackwork is excellent this would be a great engine for a switching layout.

#71865  by steemtrayn

My Timesaver layout that I take to work(something to do on lunch break) uses an Atlas H-15-44 and a proto USRA 0-6-0. I prefer to use the steamer, of course.

#71923  by Ken S.

I use a Bachmann B30-7 or a Trainline GP9 for switching the Rockaway Mall area. NS uses an ex-CR GP40 for the NJT lines. I also stable an Athearn GP7, a Bachmann MDT (used as a Subway MOW unit), and a Model Power DDT (shop switcher). Of course amything goes.

#72130  by MR77100

N&W GP18 P2K-low gearing and quiet ride
Conrail Atlas U23B- moderate gearing and good pulling power
Conrail SW1200 P2K- low gearing, quiet ride, and small size

#73929  by graftonterminalrr

Good switch loco?

Walthers H-10-44. It's what I use and I found it used for 15 bucks. Weighs over a pound, super smooth Roco drive. Quiet too. Detailing isn't *too* bad, remember the casting IS over a decade old, but superdetailing one is pretty easy to do.

Other good ones to have are:

Atlas U23B... quiet quiet drive, runs as good as a new Kato IMHO. Thses things will throttle down so low you can push a car without having the coupler knuckles engage.

Kato NW2... Again, runs well, not really up to the quietness of the new Kato releases but has good pulling power.

P2K S1's... You can get these super cheap, usually under 35 dollars, from Trainworld.com. They have an Athearn style motor and they pull well. Nice fine details too.