Railroad Forums 

• Suggestions in building roof humps for HO Metroliners

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#65129  by early80sNECguy

I have a very large fleet of bachmann metroliners...I am looking to rebuild them into the Orange/Red and blue painst scheme with large "Amtrak" lettering on the nose. I would love to add the roof humps they were fitted with in the late 70's during their rebuilds at GE. My early attempts at building these humps were less than successful...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a method that may work in creating this unique feature?

#65146  by mlrr

I suggest using the roof humps from Athearns RDCs. Some serious kitbashing will be required but it should work. You would need nor more than two of the humps to do one car I would say.

#65148  by early80sNECguy

Good suggetion, but I think that it would require more work in altering that it would be worth. Not quite the same shape.........

Thanks for responding though.......

#65163  by early80sNECguy

I appreciate that!

When you look at photos it seems simple enough.........

#65171  by astrosa

Build a box from styrene sheets of the approximate size and shape, file the edges round, and add brass mesh (K&S makes some great etched square-pattern mesh) for the grilles. Not sure what the top looks like, but as long as you have the basic shape and those side grilles, you've got the right effect.

#65281  by Mike@IHP

They are actually more difficult to build than they look, but they can be modeled with styrene. Having done them myself, I know everything you need to know about modeling these roof blisters and I have reference info to accurately model them. Contact me for advice.

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

#65305  by early80sNECguy

Attempts I made in styrene did not work out so great. The box idea is something I have been thinking about doing, so I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

This project looks easier than it really is to get it look "right". I am not looking for perfection, but I don't want it to look like I glued a rectangle on to a cylinder! (actually that is EXACTLY what it is!) (lol)

Mike- I PM'd you, so hopefully I will here from you when you get a chance to respond. (I know you have a lot on your plate right now)

#66872  by early80sNECguy

Hey Mike@IHP! Don't forget about me! I PM'd you buit not sure if you got it.........