Railroad Forums 

• HO sample layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#40858  by thrdkilr

Can any one suggest any resources for sample HO layouts. I not having any luck getting the wheel rolling and think maybe looking at some samples would get the brain unlocked. Thank-you in advance....

#40958  by Otto Vondrak

Kalmbach and Carstens publish several books of track plans and ideas on planning your own layout... I suggest you start there.

http://store.yahoo.net/kalmbachcatalog/ ... books.html

http://www.carstens-publications.com/depot.html

http://railroad.net/articles/columns/re ... /index.php

-otto-

#41048  by thrdkilr

Thank-you Otto. I did get a couple more from MR. I got 10 years worth of MR (which is where they get their data for their books), I've bought several of their books over the years. What I guess I'm looking for is the doodlings of a creative pearson who has been locked in a room with Atlas trackware for a while.....any idea's....thanks again....

#41179  by Throttle_JCKY

thrdkilr, what are you looking for?
What size are you working with, style and so on. Are you into running trains or switching..... so on so forth. I have designed a few modelrailroads over the years.

#41402  by thrdkilr

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated. The space I have is in a fat "U". The overall length is 19 feet with the 2 end area's being squares of 6 1/2 by 7 feet. The connecting (bottom of the "U") part is 5 by 2 1/2 feet. What I would like is to have a 2, 2 track main lines, one being elevated 6 inchs, I don't want them to coneected by a grade or a helix. I would also like to have a single line commuter track and a meandering single frieght line. I don't want a frieght yard. I think I might have to much ...stuff, in a shoe box, but it is my dream layout with all my reguirments for the assets I have. Thanks once again for any assistance you can give...

Mac

#42488  by stilson4283

What type of equipent are you going to run and with kind of radius are you looking to use.

Chris

#42863  by thrdkilr

I would like to run a long frieght (15-20 cars, 1 or 2 engines, proto, atlas, athearns, GEEPS & ALCO diesels) and a long passenger (Athearn USRA 2-8-2, & 6 Bachman heavys) train on the 2 main lines. I want to set up an automatic commuter line (single track) with LIRR MU-54's, CNW push-pull, and the new 4 car Proto subway set. The last feature is to have a meandering single line with various sidings ect.. for frieght service, which would be worked while everything else runs on thier own...

#42871  by jwb1323

I don't think anyone has mentioned the sample layouts on the Atlas site. Unfortunately, I can't point to a URL for a specific page, but go to atlasrr.com, click on Layouts and then click on Layout Gallery. This has the track plans and materials info that's in their layout books.

You haven't said what prior experience you have in building a layout. My recommendation, if this is a first layout, would be to start smaller than your maximum space allows and get a feel for what interests you. It's easy to dream big, but taking all that stuff on at once can lead to disappointment.

#53118  by scrag104

I have been in the same boat as you thrdkilr, always looking for that inspirational layout. Well, I have found a few websites that offer some good ideas for layouts. Here are some:

Appalachian Railroad Modeling

Layout Designs.com

Modelrailweb.com

The last website is a layout designers site but there are a few examples for you to look at. Hope these sites help you out.

Scott