Railroad Forums 

• Electrical dilemma - automatic operation on isolated line

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#33703  by thrdkilr

I would appreciate any words of wisdom I can get on this problem. I want to set up a self contained commutor line on my layout. It would have 2 tracks at stations on both ends, with a single track the 15 feet between. I want to have it run 3 trains back and forth automatically, when a train pulls in the station, it stops, the other train in the station starts back, and on and on...thank-you for any idea's....

#33722  by jwb1323

I don't know if this can be done with DCC, but it can be done with relay and detector control. Dallee Electronics has block detectors and reversing modules. I think some other companies like Circuitron have equivalent products.

#33799  by stilson4283

I know if you set up blocks using digitrax block detector and Railroad and Co. software you can set up automatic running. I am positive you can do this the only thing is you will need to place your blocks in the right positions. I have dabbled in this on our layout and the only problem I have is that the trains will die as soon as it enters the block it need to stop in. To fix this problem the best solution I found would be to spit the blocks up even more. The switch including up to any fouling points is one block. The first and last foot or so is another and the middle is another. Now this is more thought up for a freight mainline with large trains and blocks. For your situation If you set the speed right and the right momentum you might be able to do this without a large number of blocks

Chris

#34193  by Otto Vondrak

If you had a double-track line with loops at the ends, it would be much easier to wire.

I saw an article in Model Railroader about 10 years ago or more that descibed an automatic trolley operation on one guys layout. It was set up for multiple trolleys to make various pre-determined stops, and two or three trolleys ran in he circuit providing "continuous service." It also described another circuit to operate a single car on a single track- the trolley would start, make some stops, get to the end of the line, pause, and reverse direction. This kind of circuit is quite common.

The problems with mutliple cars... eventually, they will all catch up to each other and either ram or rear-end each other. Doesnt matter if they are all the same make and model, they will eventually overtake one another.

-otto-