Railroad Forums 

• Paint Booth

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#27726  by Rick F.

I'm interested in buying a paint booth. I'm looking at one from Walthers and one from Micro-Mark. Can you give any advice? Thanks

Rick

#27742  by LIRRNOVA55

why not just make your own? all you need is a big box, some ducting, run the ducting from the back of the box to a shop vac/vaccume

#27776  by Throttle_JCKY

I made my own out of 3/4" med grade plywood. I made it 2' wide and 16" deep and 14" tall. I actaully made it angle the sides slightly toward the top.
Last edited by Throttle_JCKY on Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #29735  by jack S.

Hope you haven't built your booth with a shop vac or any other ordinary household vacuum cause there's a good chance you'll blow yourself and the models UP. You shouldn't have the paint vapor pass through or near the motor housing. The safe move is to use a brushless motor. Plus, you gotta move a WHOLE LOTTA air to ensure complete fume exhaustion, something on the order of 550 cubic feet per minute, which requires a squirrel cage fan.

Suggest you contact "Model Railroader" magazine for a copy of their article and plans for a safe booth.

Best switches,

#29750  by dti406

Mainline Modeler also had a number of plans for spray booth's in their past issues, as a matter of fact I used one of these to build my new spray booth recently.

And a big ditto on the fan, look for a Dayton Exhaust fan that will move at least 500 mcf with an outside mounted motor.

Another thing is to use a metal hose/pipe to the outside and not plastic dryer vent hose as Regular Floquil, Accupaint, and Scalecoat I can attack the plastic in the hose.

Just my .02.

Rick