Railroad Forums 

• Model Railroad Clubs In The Boston Area

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#26112  by CRail

I would like to visit/join a model railroad club such as the R&IC. The only problem is i dont know where there are any near by. I live near Framingham but can travel to the city if need be.

#26160  by astrosa

Or, then there's the 'big one'...

BSSME - Bay State Society of Model Engineers

They're located in Roslindale, a neighborhood of Boston, right across the street from the commuter rail station.

Alex Stroshane

#26250  by Steve Wagner

Probably the two closest sizable clubs to Framingham are the Nashua Valley club in Bolton (Route 85 just south of 117) and the Worcester group, now located, I think, in an industrial park southeast of that city.

Try visiting the NMRA's Index to Worldwide Rail Sites at www.cwrr.com/nmra and looking first under Clubs and then under Massachusetts.
 #26598  by Paul Cutler III

Sometimes, I just can't keep away...

Anyways, the clubs not already mentioned are:

The Providence Northern Model Railroad Club
http://www.oceantugbarge.com/pn1.htm

And the oldest club in the area and probably the biggest (and the one I've been a member of for over 10 years), The South Shore Model Railway Club, Inc., est. 1938.
www.ssmrc.org

The SSMRC moved for the first time in 45 years into a new building in 1998. This building, a 50'x200' structure, is a former ammunition bunker in a retired Navy depot in Hingham, MA. When we got it, it was nothing but 4 walls and most of a roof. Since then, we have turned it into one of the finest club buildings in the country.

Our HO layout is only about 1/6th finished, but we plan to double that in the next year, and are in the process of adding HOn3 and live trolley wire.

If you want to come and visit, we welcome visitors almost any Monday or Thursday night, from about 8 'till 11. The only exception is the first non-holiday Monday of the month, as that is our business meeting.

If you want, call (781) 740-2000 to confirm someone is there before you take the drive...

Paul A. Cutler III
Weather Or No Go New Haven