Railroad Forums 

• DCC Sound in P2K GP7

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#21979  by DocJohn

Has anyone put DCC sound in a P2K GP7. I know which decoder to buy, but would apperciate help on speaker and where to put it.

John
Macon, GA

#22202  by Chuck Walsh

I'm not sound but I thought the GP 7 is a small shell. If so, is it conceivable to install in a car right behind the engine or better yet
how about a dummy GP7 ?

#22330  by Otto Vondrak

doc- I think you need to place the speaker wherever it will fit. Not sure how much room is in there once all the components are mounted... but there should be room for everything to fit on board.

-otto-

#22597  by Throttle_JCKY

Doc,
while not the P2K version, I did install a Soundtraxx decoder in a Atlas Classic GP7. I used a smaller speaker and was able to hid it in the roof of the cab. Sounds good, and it was a tight fit, but works fine.

I am running into a few issues with P2K GP38-2's and trying to fit a speaker. Guess I will have to mill the frame, as there isn't enough space for some speakers. I tried a MRC sound decoder in the P2K GP38-2 and the speaker is way to big for that project.