Railroad Forums 

• Looking To Borrow Model Train For Historical Society

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1387216  by GSC

The Ocean Township (Monmouth County NJ) Historical Society is planning a Long Branch President display, including a model train display of James Garfield's train that took him from Washington to Elberon NJ, where he later died.

Does anyone on the forum know of where we can borrow a model train, any scale, of circa 1880s loco and coaches? Display will be for about a year. Please PM me or email GSCauthor @ gmail . com. (Email split on purpose to avoid robots)

Thanks!

Gary Crawford
 #1387541  by GSC

There's a pic in Don Wood's NY&LB book that is supposed to be of the loco that pulled Garfield's train, a Pennsy 4-4-0, more "modern" and heavier than a Civil War era loco. The engineer was possibly named "Berry".

Any leads or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
 #1569619  by jrzwalker86

Does anyone know the exact route the train went while carrying the ailing president? I can imagine two possibilities. North East Corridor to the old Philadelphia and Long Branch route to Elberon. Northeast Corridor to where the current NJ Coast Line begins, then down to Elberon. Could I be far off? Thanks.