Railroad Forums 

• Putting a DCC chip into your HO scale loco

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1205098  by peanut1

Hello,
Could somebody tell me how to put a DCC chip into an analog engine? I have so many analog LIRR, Amtrak, Metro North, and freight diesels that could use them. Thanks in advance.
 #1205210  by Backshophoss

Are any of the locos "plug n play" type or are they all pre-DCC?
They can be converted,but will have to be modified to work with DCC.
You will need to take apart drives and put them back together.

Check your PM Inbox :wink:
 #1207481  by peanut1

Backshophoss wrote:Are any of the locos "plug n play" type or are they all pre-DCC?
They can be converted,but will have to be modified to work with DCC.
You will need to take apart drives and put them back together.

Check your PM Inbox :wink:

The athearn ones are plug and play, that one is a New York and Atlantic MP15, the other two are Atlas LIRR diesels RS11 and an RS3. I don't know if those would be plug and play. My other two are Mantua GP20's LIRR and an older Athearn LIRR GP38 that needs to have the motor replaced.
 #1207503  by Backshophoss

The Mantua GP-20's might not be convertable to DCC if they are the 1 power truck version(aka "pancake" type motor)
with only 1 wire to the other truck. They can run on a DCC Layout if "00" is allowed,they will "hum" when on DCC powered track.
The GP-38 can be "remotored" by a replacement motor from Athearn/Horizen(from their website or your hobby shop)or
by using a kit from A-Line(Walters # 116-90321,$60.95), it includes a can motor and the mounting hardware needed.
The 2 "plug n play" Athearns,just remove the 9-pin dummy plug and put in the decoder you want to use.
The Atlas engines will be a "drop in" replacement of the PC board or have a 8-pin plug.
 #1207550  by peanut1

Thank you for all your responses, I would have to open up the GP20's and look inside to see what it has. Now one other question, if I were to buy the DM30 model from IHP hobbies and buy Island model works models of the DE30, M7 and hopefully M1/M3 models would I be able to equip those with DCC? I know the DM and DE30 use components from the athearn AMD103 drive so I would assume that it can in fact be equipped with DCC.
 #1207614  by Backshophoss

Check with IHP and IMW if they have drives avaible,believe you need to cut traces on the proto 1000 RDC light board and solder the leads to the board
On the Athearn drives,could be "plug in play"or the strap(old)setup,if it's the strap,it's a hardwire install. :wink:
 #1214089  by Montrealrail1

Backshophoss wrote:Check with IHP and IMW if they have drives avaible,believe you need to cut traces on the proto 1000 RDC light board and solder the leads to the board
On the Athearn drives,could be "plug in play"or the strap(old)setup,if it's the strap,it's a hardwire install. :wink:
here a video showing how to convert Proto1000 BUDD RDC to DCC
look easy to do..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdCCQJ2w1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;