Railroad Forums 

• Bachmann to produce GEVO and SD70ACe (NS Heritage)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1092754  by timberley

This announcement really took me by surprise. In the midst of Intermountain (ES44AC) and Athearn (SD70ACe) retooling their respective models for the NS heritage models, Bachmann has announced that they'll be producing both of these models in HO scale in their "DCC-on-board Sound Value" series. They've announced 10 of the heritage schemes so far, and expect delivery in 2013.

Here's the mention, in the Model Railroad News:

http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/news.html

I'm actually quite interested to see how these turn out. Bachmann's reputation hasn't always been the best, but some of their recent products (and more especially their overseas offerings) have been pretty nice. If Bachmann manages to offer a reasonably accurate model at the sort of price they typically do (a heck of a lot less than IMRC, Athearn, or MTH are offering), I think they'll have pretty good success with it.

Actually, I think doing this with the Heritage schemes is a really smart move. Think about it: a lot of people want at least some of these models, and that goes for more than just NS modellers. But that's a LOT of different paint schemes. For most people, these locomotives will not make up the bulk of their operating fleet, and may just even be novelty models. So spending a few hundred bucks a pop on them is a bit steep.

I'm not an NS guy, nor do I model any of those heritage roads....but I think some of them look damn good (I have a soft spot for the Conrail and Southern schemes in particular), and if Bachmann does even a reasonably nice job with these, I may go for their offering rather than the Intermountain or Athearn.
 #1093089  by umtrr-author

When you pretty much have a whole factory to yourself (Sanda Kan's), you can be aggressive with product introductions that cut the competition off at the knees.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann/Kader beat the others to market with their Heritage Units.
 #1098549  by lexon

When did Bachmann switch to ESU. They have been using SoundTraxx. Never MRC as far a I know.
I watch the Bachmann forums regularly.All the DCC documents are at the site.

Rich
 #1099177  by ApproachMedium

I havent seen what they are actually using yet I assumed they were going with ESU stuff since thats who makes their latest DCC system itself. I havent seen any news about bachmann in anything I have read yet.