Railroad Forums 

• On-line source/store for Atlas and Kato Locomotives

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#88634  by Kevin MacDowell

Does anyone know of a good on-line source/store to buy Atlas/Kato diesel locomotives? (besides e-Bay)

One with:
- Good selection, pictures, details
- Low price
- Secure/on-line automated order system

I'm looking to replace my aging fleet of Athearn's with new motive power!

#88733  by Colorado GW

Have you tried Walthers online?

http://walthers.com/

#88768  by Otto Vondrak

If you can't give the business to your local hobby shop, check out any of the listings for some of the larger mail order houses in Model Railroader like Standard Hobby Supply, or others... they all have comparable prices.

-otto-
 #88825  by thrdkilr

I have to beg to differ on Walthers, their prices are the highest, period.
IMHO. The catalog however, is great, and the #1 research tool.

#88838  by Chuck Walsh

I buy from Walthers but only through their sales flyer.
My locos come from Trainworld or first hobby.

The disadvantage is you can't hold it in your hand or pre-test it.
You have to know the quality/reputation of the manufacturer
and the vendor.

#88969  by Kevin MacDowell

Colorado GW wrote:Have you tried Walthers online?

http://walthers.com/

Yes, but boy their prices are pretty high. Great catalog though!

#88977  by Kevin MacDowell

Otto Vondrak wrote:If you can't give the business to your local hobby shop, check out any of the listings for some of the larger mail order houses in Model Railroader like Standard Hobby Supply, or others... they all have comparable prices.

-otto-
I would prefer to do business with local shop but most of the stores around here are traditional hobby shops, manned by young kids, with focus on RC cars and monster trucks!

I will check out SHS... thanks.

#88979  by Kevin MacDowell

Chuck Walsh wrote:I buy from Walthers but only through their sales flyer.
My locos come from Trainworld or first hobby.

The disadvantage is you can't hold it in your hand or pre-test it.
You have to know the quality/reputation of the manufacturer
and the vendor.
Thanks Chuck... for reminding me about Trainworld. I was there a while back pricing some MTH products for my O scale collection. As I recall, they were very competitive! I will drop by and check out there selection of HO locomotives.
 #88984  by jmp883

K. McD,

Use Walthers catalog as a guide to pricing. Many hobbyshops discount from what Walthers prices are. For on-line shopping, in addition to the resources already listed above, take a look at the following link:

www.caboosehobbies.com

Just remember when you purchase via mail order you may not necessarily be getting a better price in the end. When you factor in shipping, handling, and insurance you may come out paying the same, or more, than if you bought from your local hobby shop. I purchase on-line only when my local hobbyshop doesn't have a particular roadname in stock and won't, or can't, get anymore through his suppliers.

Joe P :-D