Virgin Rail née Brightline/AAF Orlando - Miami FL FEC

This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Virgin Rail USA formerly known as Brightline, and Virgin Worldwide Rail operations, past and present.
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

electricron

Re: Virgin Rail née Brightline/AAF Orlando - Miami FL FEC

Post by electricron » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:54 pm

gokeefe wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:23 am
My read from the above results is that a desire for more ridership may be driving the Boca Raton station proposal. I write this in the specific sense that Virgin is reacting somewhat to current results and may want to "juice" them a little more. Could be that they were planning this "infill" proposal all along but now those plans have accelerated somewhat ...

Almost no way to know for sure but the timing is interesting. I would have imagined that they were going to wait until after the Orlando extension was complete before looking again at the Treasure Coast.
I'm not going to suggest they had been planning this new station all along, but they have already replied many times that future stations was a possibility after initially entering operations. Well, they are doing that, why act surprised?

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 am

I didn't think they were going to do this until after the Orlando extension was complete.
gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 am

Arlington wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:37 pm
Boca Raton is a little odd in that they don't already own the station land.....
Mr. Arlington, the former FEC station in Boca has become a transportation museum that I believe is part of their Historical Society.

The two cars visible from the Googlemobile, the Obs is former SAL once assigned to the "Star" and placed mid-train, while the Diner is former ACL.

813 S Dixie Hwy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y1BN7iQcjCBFGdWw5

Arborwayfan

Post by Arborwayfan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:35 pm

When I first read the Brightline website I was pretty surprised to see that they would have security screenings before boarding. Mr. Norman and others who have ridden, what is the security screening like? Does it take a long time and/or disrupt boarding?

Erie-Lackawanna

Post by Erie-Lackawanna » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 pm

It’s very unobtrusive. I haven’t traveled with luggage, but unencumbered guests walk through a turnstile-like gate with no delay.

Jim

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 am

From Pitter Hotel, Salzburg---

Brightline's security check is hardly obstrusive. You walk through a metal detector, your carry ons are searched electronically.

Go to a concert at the Festival over here. And it's a peek in anything you are carrying. For me, its a pair of shoes as I'm not about to walk 1.2 klicks hotel to the venue without my walking shoes.

It's disconcerting to see the Polizei walking about carrying "AR's" even in Austria with its very strict gun control laws. But this is our world today.

chrsjrcj

Post by chrsjrcj » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:43 pm

July 2019 vs July 2018:
Ridership - 83,741 +61% (52,162)
Revenue - $1.7 million +73% ($1 million)

It also looks like ticket prices will dramatically increase on October 1st, likely in anticipation of snow bird season.

https://emma.msrb.org/ER1248477-ER976238-ER1377491.pdf

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:11 pm

An indeed encouraging report, Mr. CHRS.

Maybe the rebranding away from the (I thought) attractive Brightline in favor of the shaggy one and his sort of off-color trade name will prove worth it. Of greater interest is the apparent public acceptance of a higher fare level.

I'm sure that if and when they can somehow say they're breaking even, it will be "widely disseminated".

Arlington

Post by Arlington » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Where can we get details on the price hike?

As ridership grows and peak trains (and seasons) and near-sellouts can be predicted, targeted fare hikes should be very effective.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn

EuroStar

Post by EuroStar » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:51 am

Is Dorian the first major hurricane for Virgin Rail? Their website seems to have no information on when they plan to shutdown service. Do they have enough indoor space for all the trainsets? Are some of them going to need to stay outside?

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:54 am

Should be interesting to see how the brand new infrastructure weathers the storm.
gokeefe

nomis

Post by nomis » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:29 pm

They updated the website, and sent out an email as well.
Based on Hurricane Dorian’s current path and anticipated high winds, Brightline will be operating on an alternate schedule on Saturday, August 31. Our final northbound and southbound departures from West Palm Beach and Miami will depart at 12:00 pm. Fares have also been reduced to $5 as guests make final storm preparations.

Brightline’s alternate schedule of southbound trains include an 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m.,10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. departure from West Palm Beach and northbound train departing Virgin MiamiCentral at 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Service will be suspended after the 12:00 p.m. departures both north and southbound at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 31.
All service is suspended on Sunday 9/1 and Monday 9/2. Please check Train Status for updates.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Good on them reducing fares to help the public get out of the area.
gokeefe

Erie-Lackawanna

Post by Erie-Lackawanna » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Latest email I received is that they are resuming service on a limited schedule beginning Sunday, September 1.

I understand their desire to resume service, but frankly, we in South Florida aren't out of the woods yet. Tropical storm forecasts have a degree of uncertainty to them and this one is more uncertain than most. I’ll be putting up the storm shutters tomorrow, just as Brightline resumes service.

I hope they’re right and I’m wrong, but I’d rather be wrong and safe than wrong and screwed.

Jim

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:25 am

gokeefe wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:02 pm
Good on them reducing fares to help the public get out of the area.
Agreed. But unless folks have a place to go to further north of MIA-FLL such as a relative's home, they won't be going anywhere. Hotels tend to fill up with fleeing folks in a hurricane situation. Happened to me driving to Texas in 2003, when a hurricane had just happened. Absolutely no rooms anywhere.

Return to “Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)”