Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak transfer to Brightline Closeness of Stations?

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1457782  by Noel Weaver

Although the distance is longer the bus transfer is easier in Fort Lauderdale. The no. 22 bus runs from trackside at Tri-Rail to the Central Bus Terminal in Fort Lauderdale at very frequent intervals and the Central Bus Terminal is only a couple of blocks from the Brightline Station, you can easily see on from the other.
At West Palm Beach you can take the no. 1 bus SOUTHBOUND from the bus terminal which is right next to the Tri-Rail platform on the north end of the station. Get off at Clematis Street and you will have about a 15 minute walk to the Brightline station. It might be a bit tricky for some, it was for me the first time, you walk west crossing the tracks and take the first left after crossing the tracks, walk south a block or so and go left again about a block and you will see the station entrance on your right. Because of the walking I recommend Fort Lauderdale. Tri-Rail also runs a free transfer bus that goes by the Brightline station but I am not sure exactly whether it meets all trains at Fort Lauderdale or not.

The key to all of this will be months down the road when Tri-Rail finally runs into Miami Central. Miami Central will have 5 tracks when it is finished, 3 for Brightline and 2 for Tri-Rail. Transfer there will be easy to say the the least.
Noel Weaver
 #1457821  by Patrick Boylan

Noel Weaver, you say transfer at Miami will be easy, but why would anyone transfer there? Does anyone plan to have any of these railoads, Amtrak, Brightline or Trirail go anywhere except Miami-Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach and points north?
 #1457823  by electricron

Patrick Boylan wrote:Noel Weaver, you say transfer at Miami will be easy, but why would anyone transfer there? Does anyone plan to have any of these railoads, Amtrak, Brightline or Trirail go anywhere except Miami-Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach and points north?
Foamers could ride one train, then transfer to the other train for a return trip. If you were to ride either train to Miami, you'll be most likely wanting to ride a train back. Would you rather ride the same train back, or ride a different train on an adjacent route a mile or so away looking at slightly different scenery and with different onboard services?
While you might wish to ride on the cheapest train in both directions, there will be some who will wish to ride on both the different trains. Then closeness of the transfer stations, the ease, and speed a transfer can be done would be interesting to you.
 #1457911  by Noel Weaver

Patrick Boylan wrote:Noel Weaver, you say transfer at Miami will be easy, but why would anyone transfer there? Does anyone plan to have any of these railoads, Amtrak, Brightline or Trirail go anywhere except Miami-Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach and points north?
If somebody were traveling say from Hollywood or Golden Glades Stations to Orlando I think it would be easier and simpler to go to Miami Central and do one transfer there in the same station than to go to Fort Lauderdale and endure a bus transfer.
Noel Weaver
 #1457936  by Patrick Boylan

trirail's schedule says Golden Glades-Miami airport is 30 minutes, it's unlikely downtown Miami will be any faster since it's further.
Time will tell how many will think 30 minutes going in the opposite direction, and not much less than 30 minutes going back is easier than having to endure a bus transfer.
 #1458194  by chrsjrcj

West Palm Beach operates a free trolley from the Tri-Rail/Amtrak station to Clematis Street and downtown. It boards on the east side of the Tri-Rail station (along Tamarind Ave). You would want to get off at either the stop before or after Rosemary Ave on Clematis Street. Walk south down Rosemary then east on Evernia. It honestly might just be easier to walk the entire length from the Tri-Rail station (although it's not the most scenic walk). Eventually, there will be a street connection along the westside of the FEC from Clematis Street to the station.

http://www.downtownwpb.com/dda/wp-conte ... GREEN_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If walking up stairs onto the trolley is a concern, then Mr. Weaver's proposal works just as well. PalmTran (Palm Beach County's bus system) is $0.50 when you show a valid Tri-Rail ticket.
 #1458268  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Sicarlis, Tri Rail originates at the airport, so that is a no issue. For your AAF joyride, you can use such to Ft. Lauderdale, then walk the 2.1 miles East to the Brightline station. If you are willing to commit more time to the adventure but have less walking, you can ride Tri Rail to West Palm where the walk to AAF is only .04 mile.

Since Amtrak has wisely chosen not to use the Airport station, the only reasonable and practical means to make that transfer is taxicab (they "cost" down there).

This Sunday, unless raining cats and dogs, I now plan a joyride with the Ft. Lauderdale transfer. Even that "door and back to door" will still be a nine hour adventure (and at my age, one is not all that adventurous).
 #1458307  by Noel Weaver

[quote=.

This Sunday, unless raining cats and dogs, I now plan a joyride with the Ft. Lauderdale transfer. Even that "door and back to door" will still be a nine hour adventure (and at my age, one is not all that adventurous).[/quote]

I think your idea of a taxi between Tri-Rail and Brightline in Fort Lauderdale is an excellent one. The 22 bus will be on a Sunday schedule with less service. When you get off the train check if there are any Tri-Rail transfer buses around the station, if so you will go right by the Brightline station and your ride will be free, just hold on to your Tri-Rail ticket, you will not need a transfer to ride the Tri-Rail bus. Enjoy your trip, I think you will like it.
Noel Weaver