Railroad Forums 

• Would a railroad in the UK ever consider hiring an American?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1484773  by Engineer Spike

The requirements to reside and work in the U.K. are strict. About the only types of careers where someone could easily get visas at for in demand jobs like medical, IT, engineering, and science. Another was is through employers. Ever since CN spun off British operations, which came via WC, a employer sponsorship is rare, but even so would likely be more geared towards management. About the only other way is to marry someone from over there. After that was cleared, you’d have the same chance as anyone else.
 #1485769  by slchub

You'll be up against UK citizens, then citizens on the EU/EEA (look it up, it si very hard to explain) and then those holding immigrant/refugee status before you'll gain sponsorship from a UK railroad. It is far harder to gain employments as a US citizen without first gaining sponsorship from a UK/EEA company than it is to do the same in the US. You'll likely have a better chance if you marry a UK citizen and get a spouse visa until you gain citizenship.
 #1485771  by slchub

abc8251 wrote:Just curious about this. I know Europe has very strict immigration and visa requirements. I've heard railways in Europe treat their employees better than in the US.
Before working for the RR I worked for 2 European companies and a Japanese company in the US. By far the BEST treatment was NYK Line (Japanese shipping and logistics) followed by Swissair and Sabena airlines. The pay structure, time off, training and performance expectations followed by management that considers the employee first far exceeds those I have seen by US based companies.