Railroad Forums 

• Georgia Central Railway (Genesee & Wyoming)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List

#533588  by ashley2771

Check RRPicturearchives.net for GC pictures... if you look them up Geographically, look for Macon, Dublin, Vidalia, and Tarrytown... they run about 170 altogether...
 #1017858  by georgiacentralfan

Georgia Central runs 5 trains a day 3 road freights.
1. L782 Vidalia Local: runs Monday-Friday. Monday-Thursday L782 runs to Dublin and meets the Macon Local Y101 and goes back west to Collins and meets L783 Savannah Local. On Friday L782 runs to Meldrim and meets L783. Leaves and returns to Lyons everyday.
2. L783 Savannah Local: Monday-Thursday. Monday-Thursday L782 runs east to Collins and meets L782 Vidalia Local. On Friday runs to Meldrim and meets L782 again. Leaves and returns to Garden City everyday.
3.Y101 Macon Local: Monday-Thursday. Runs to Dublin and meets L782. Leaves and returns to Macon everyday
4.Y103 Dublin Switcher: Monday-Saturday, Occasionally Sunday. Switches industries in Dublin
5.Y115:Woodchip train: Sunday-Saturday. Runs only in Savannah
 #1072055  by iggy44

Hi all-
I'm going to be in Savannah for about half a day this Wednesday or Thursday and I'm looking to find out where the GCRy keeps their motive power. I'm certainly not going to have a lot of time (family vacation) to do this, but I would like to grab a couple of roster shots. Also, what type of neighborhood are they in?
-iggy44
 #1073050  by iggy44

After looking at Google maps, I was able to find the yard near Alabama Jct. All that was there was an Ohio Central GP10, 7594 and two MT4 slugs, 1006 and 1005 (Conrail paint). Was dissapointed that the GE's were out but thats what you get for 5 minute railfanning.
 #1227827  by rogruth

I live in Pembroke on the GC line to Savannah.There seems to be at least two trains east and two west on week days at this time.Schedule is very irregular.
The Riceboro Southern is part of the GC but is now using locos in G&W paint.I have not seen any GC locos in that scheme yet.
The yard in Dublin mentioned above was at one time used by the MD&S [SCL,etc] and the Wrightsville and Tennille [SR,NS].It now seems to be down to two or three tracks.
 #1230579  by ashley2771

The GC trains from Savannah to Vidalia and vice versa often swap consists in Groveland. Generally, this exchange takes place between 4-7 pm.
 #1261509  by thebigham

Over on the G&W railfans' Facebook page, supposedly G&W has put the Georgia Central GE locomotives up for sale.
 #1268197  by ashley2771

that's what I've read... I hate to see the GE's be sold since they provide some variety in the EMD dominated shortline business... I had hoped they might pick up some -7s or -8s, given the GE knowledge they must have at the Lyons shops...
 #1277181  by rogruth

The GE locos are still running through Pembroke and they are the only locos I have seen through here.
G&W witchers are being used on the Riceboro Southern yard in Savannah.
 #1278581  by ashley2771

from what I've heard the Uboats are going overseas, but I don't know when, or what will replace them...
 #1371869  by rogruth

There is more activity on the GC between Claxton and Savannah these days. I live in Pembroke and I think we are back to four trains a day, possibly six.
All of the GE U-boats seem to be gone. A lot of work has been done to and around the track. Many crossing gates have been installed, I have been told in anticipation of raising the speed.
There have also been several container trains a week. Train schedules still seem to be rather variable. Most are still run on demand it seems. I have heard some talk of a trans-load
facility of some kind to be built near Dublin.
I don't get around as much as in the past so do not see as much.
 #1380077  by ashley2771

All the Uboats are indeed gone... cut up except for one that went to a museum. I drive through Pembroke every day back and forth to work but seldom catch any of the trains... since L782 and L783 don't seem to swap much in Groveland anymore, it's hard to catch them there too