Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley to Perth Amboy

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#600085  by LBWaveDude

What was the story with the Lehigh Valley in Perth Amboy? Did they discontinue this when they constructed their own route to Jersey City or was it continued after that?
 #600321  by scavenger34

LBWaveDude,
I don't know the full story but I can tell you that the Perth Amboy branch was pretty active with its own customers into the 1970's. We had a thread going about how that branch served the Camp Kilmer area of Edison via South Plainfield. I'm not sure when the coal dumping operation stopped. Older family members definately remember coal tipping in Perth Amboy so I assume that operation shut down soon after WWII.

Warren
 #600498  by GOLDEN-ARM

Perth Amboy was the second "cash cow" on the line. The chemical industry lasted into Conrail, and there was always three or four jobs working there, to cover the business. Jobs worked at Perth Amboy proper, as well as working out of South Plainfield. Coal fell off with the relocation to the Jersey City waterfront, but freight and chemicals were a steady source of revenue. Once Conrail closed the line, from South Plainfield, the work continued, but from the Chemical Coast or Browns crews. Regards :wink:
 #1329445  by NJTram

According to the NY Times they operations continued until 1976. The marshalling yards at Perth Amboy on the Arthur KIll have subsequently become a "town home" complex known as Harbortown.