Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1429288  by ebtmikado

The locomotive is now Providence & Worcester 4007, painted in the standard orange scheme of the railroads owned by G&W.
It has the P&W logo on the side.

Lee
 #1430343  by MEC407

Photo by John Jauchler:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/615227/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1430680  by AlKaLI

What locomotives does P&W have leased now? Caught a quick glimpse of FPCH heading back north near Hell Gate last night. Didn't get a good look but definitely saw three locomotives (SD40s?) in blue and black rooftops. GATX leasers?. Thanks
 #1430690  by gregorygrice

The same GATX/CEFX SD60s ans SD40-2s that they've had for a while.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1430700  by AlKaLI

Thanks Gregory. It's been so long that I have seen FPCH so I was surprised to see the leasers. Forgot about the SD40-2s/SD60s. Maybe I should have watched your Youtube from 11-20-2014. Haha. AlKaLI
 #1432948  by NHV 669

Farewell to the SD70's

Being reported that 4301/2 are headed to the St. Albans booth for paint soon, and then headed west to the B&P. By soon, 4302 may be up there by tomorrow, and 4301 to Willimantic Tues/Wed.
 #1432960  by MEC407

Well that was fast. And after P&W went to all the trouble of making them Northeast Corridor compatible. Darn.

Let's hope GWI finds something good from one of their other roads and sends it to P&W!
 #1432978  by NHV 669

Per the same report, nothing being directly transferred to P&W for the two at this time. Kind of funny, once you get swallowed up under the umbrella, all your good equipment goes elsewhere into the big pool.
 #1432992  by DutchRailnut

seems more a reshuffling of power sending EMD elsewhere while keeping the GE's
 #1433002  by MEC407

Could be, although it's fairly significant for a road the size of P&W to lose two 4000HP six-axle units, which begs the question of whether they'll be replaced with units from some other GWI road, or is P&W traffic down and they can get by with the remaining units?
 #1433004  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Fluidity with other G&W power would make it so that they don't have to pad their active roster as much as they used to for covering shopped units, so reasons could be entirely unrelated to present traffic levels.

NECR and CSOR have power-shared for so long that their rosters are almost indistinguishable. It would make total sense to work P&W into that mix, especially for keeping the GE's grouped with Worcester shops and the EMD's grouped with St. Albans shops. NECR has long had a fleet of mostly cab signal-equipped units for purposes of seamless CSOR sharing, and all 3 roads either already have (P&W) or will soon be gaining (CSOR + all CSOR-shared NECR units) ACSES PTC installations. These are the only 3 G&W marks that run in cabs + ACSES territory, so there's lots of efficiencies gained by realigning the non-SLR New England marks around a fluid pool.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1435162  by MEC407

Photo by Gary Knapp:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/620354/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1462431  by b&m 1566

Is GWI turning out to be a bad or good thing for the P&W? I don't follow the railroad nearly as much as I would like. All I know is that they took what seem to be the railroads better engines and is sending them else where. Does that P&W still have a board that could terminate GWI ownership if things started going bad?
 #1462695  by MEC407

The two SD70s went away but they're getting four Dash 8-40Cs. Seems like a great trade to me. :-)