Railroad Forums 

• Slatersville Secondary

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1205677  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Is the Slatersville Sec. from Woonsocket to Slatersville still used anymore? I know the remaining few blocks of stub in Woonsocket is still used to reverse direction, but is there any business left south/west of the Blackstone River? Per Google Maps the 2 sidings at the end of the line at Steele St. don't look very active, and whatever was in that sand pit deep in the woods west of 146 had its buildings demolished.
 #1205698  by GE45tonner

I believe new grade crossing signals were installed at one of the crossings in the past 5 years or so... As far as I know the line is still active. I can't be sure though.
 #1207347  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ebtmikado wrote:No trains or customers for more than a year.
Dormant but still extant customers, or customers all gone? If it's the latter it's only a matter of time before the clock ticks down to 2-3 years with no movements for just cause to file the abandonment paperwork. There is literally no place to try and attract new customers except for the ones at the very end of the line who are already taking a pass. And 4 miles is too much track to maintain for nothing when half-dozen grade crossings and half-dozen bridges including the major river and 146 spans are included.
 #1222163  by tractionmotor5819

The state of RI dumped quite a bit of money into track rehab not too long ago. I have walked the line from the Blackstone river bridge to end of track 6 months ago, and it is in I would say, very good shape for about a mile past Alice St. It is in what I would call "good" shape from there to end of track. It is mostly 100/107NH pound rail but then drops to 85/90 lb rail to the end. If a crossing has been rebuilt they usually put at least 100lb thru crossing and compromise to existing weight. There was not too long ago, an interest in a single large facility of some sort to the east of the 146br with rail service, it died for various reasons, I understand part of it was the branch running right through the parcel !