Railroad Forums 

• WOW! Don't DO that!

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1440074  by Gadfly

I was coming across the NS mainline this morning near Lowell, NC. I looked at the signals (habit) and looked both ways before proceeding. Clear path, no gates down, no trains. Just as I started across the tracks some one blared out with a LOUD horn. :( SCREEEEEECH! I slid to a stop! That near 'bout scared me out of a year's growth! :( Sounded JUST like a train. Guess somebody thought that would be "funny". I didn't! :( Its NOT funny!

Gadfly
 #1463079  by D Alex

Oh, well, just go home and change your skivvies. No real damage done.

FWIW, back when I drove an 18-wheeler, I used to love blowing my air horn in the PA turnpike tunnels.....
 #1463183  by ExCon90

Awhile back Jim Boyd mentioned in Railfan and Railroad that he once saw a VW Beetle in Milwaukee fail to move when the light turned green and the Electroliner behind it gave a good blast on the horn (Electroliner horns were about like those on a GG1). He said it was the only time he ever saw a Volkswagen do a wheelie.
 #1526315  by Gilbert B Norman

I had a like experience a few years ago while driving through the Bachman Tunnels near Chattanooga.

Possibly someone didn't like my speed (posted 30 and that's what I was going) or maybe it was time for "laugh of the day", but suddenly I hear a loud horn behind me reverberating off the walls of the single lane tunnel. Maybe the driver of the F-150 was just having fun, but such was at my expense.

For what it be worth, I drove through same tunnel this past October without incident.