Railroad Forums 

• Vandals Attack Salad Bowl Express

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1309688  by MaineEasternFL9

Starting at time 41:40 in this National Geopgraphic video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhD-V2tXlYg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the location of the crossing where people are throwing things on the tracks to try and break the air? Are attacks on freight trains still a problem today, or not as much? Crazy how the conductor talks about getting shot at.
 #1309809  by RussNelson

Here is the same video, only queued up at 41:40: http://youtu.be/JhD-V2tXlYg?t=41m40s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When you click on "share", there's a checkbox to let you share the video at the current point in the video playback. When you check it, it adds ?t=MMmSSs (as above), to queue it to MM:SS.
 #1310682  by Watchman318

MaineEasternFL9 wrote:Are attacks on freight trains still a problem today, or not as much? Crazy how the conductor talks about getting shot at.
I imagine it still happens. I've seen dents in the side of a passenger coach (MERR) that look to me like they were made by a small-caliber projectile. They were just below the windows, too, if I remember correctly. Might have happened when the car was outside of Maine.

The last I knew, "FRA glazing" was supposed to withstand a .22, or a cinder block.

Bad stuff. :(
 #1374938  by Engineer Spike

This happens still. Part of my run is through a Indian reservation. Sometimes they get in a beef with the government, and go on the warpath. ( I can say it since one of my ancestors was a member of that tribe, the Mohawks.) They have been known to shoot at trains.

One of our yards is bordered by projects. Sometimes the gangs shoot at each other. One night we had to switch with the trainmen on the opposite sides of the cars. Nobody has his lantern on. We were in the run silent, run deep mode, like one of the other engineers, Dr. Gus who had been on subs in the Navy.