Railroad Forums 

• Handling of CTC Islands in TWC

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#887487  by train2

On another discussion board someone was discussing Stempede Pass and mentioned the line was TWC with CTC islands. For any line with this setup, how do dispatchers handle TWC's. Do they issue a different TWC between each CTC island OR do they issue at TWC though the islands such that from radio scanner traffic aspect act like the islands are not there? I know when the trains come to the island they are governed by the approach and absolute signals so they do exist.

I am wanting to know if a train gets 75 miles of railroad, that would be over multiple islands with little meets, how is the TWC written? Also how are meets handled with say a siding that has both ends in the island? Would the two trains various TWC's be given to each end of the siding with no language about a meet since that would be handled under CTC authority?

I will entertain answers from RR's other than BNSF as well.

T2
 #888874  by wigwagfan

If I recall correctly, much of the Montana Rail Link is signalled similarly (after all, both MRL and the BNSF Stampede Pass line are both former Northern Pacific track.)