Railroad Forums 

• How realistic is TS2019?

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1503513  by CPSK

Hi;
I am running the newly released Hudson Line on Dovetail's TS2019. I have posted in the MTA Metro North forum on the subject, but think it's time to take the conversation over here to further discuss the game itself. Here is the link to my thread in the other forum: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=169363&p=1503509#p1503509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

My questions are mainly with signalling and automatic train control (ATC).
It became obvious to me right off that the sim was coded for ATC, and not the newer PTC.
I am trying to determine whether the following scenario is a programming issue or if this is how real-life trains perform on the Metro North Hudson Line.

Scenario: The train is proceeding into a block with a lower speed limit. The engineer is required to respond to the alerter (within 8 seconds) by bringing the throttle to 0, applying 40% or more braking, and hitting the alerter button. If the train remains above the MAS (maximum allowed speed), the alerter will sound again, and the engineer must perform the procedure again to silence it.
No matter how many times this sequence occurs, there is nothing (at least in the coding of the sim) that requires the train ever be brought to MAS. So long as the engineer continues to acknowledge the alert, he can proceed at a speed higher than MAS.

I suppose this is how ATC works. It was designed to prevent accidents caused by inattentive drivers, rather than absolutely control train speed as PTC is designed to do.
Regardless of what the sim does or does not do, I am most interested in whether or not it is accurately following the rules set by the prototypical system it was coded to simulate.

If indeed what is possible in the sim was possible on the prototype railroad before installation of PTC, I think we should all be thankful that the newer system is replacing the old.

CP
 #1504533  by Railjunkie

In the days before PTC you could exceed the MAS of a track. The book was 10mph over and if caught you had a nice 30 day unpaid vacation. This applied to all perm and temp speeds.

ATC will beep at you if you exceed the signal speed ie limited, medium and restricted. It will stop your train if you fail to take action with in 6 to 8 seconds.

Now with PTC it will give you about 2 to 3 mph over and if you fail to control the speed or if the computer dosent think you can achieve the speed you will receive a penalty brake application. This applies to both perm and temp speeds.