Railroad Forums 

• New York,Chicago & ST.Louis RR Crossing IC & E. 79th Street

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #974644  by terry03

Sometime during the teens or 20's, the New York, Chicago & St.L. RR built a bridge over the top of the IC at 79th Street. There were 3 levels of bridges with this bridge crossing over the top of the IC which was over the top of E. 79th Street. This was part of the IC track elevations from Chicago to Matteson.

Does anybody no who built this bridge and when?

Bates & Rogers Construction Corporation out of Chicago built almost all of the bridges from Chicago to Matteson. I'm wondering if they built this one also.
Last edited by terry03 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #974730  by Ken V

terry03 wrote:Should I try and contact the NYC forum?
That would not be too useful. The New York, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad, commonly know as the Nickel Plate, had little to do the New York Central System at that time. I think it would be better asked on the Norfolk & Western forum.
 #974867  by terry03

Ken V wrote:
terry03 wrote:Should I try and contact the NYC forum?
That would not be too useful. The New York, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad, commonly know as the Nickel Plate, had little to do the New York Central System at that time. I think it would be better asked on the Norfolk & Western forum.
Thanks Ken, I saw NYC and immediately thought New York Central. After Googling it I now realize it was the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad. I'm not so good on the old railroad names.
 #1086475  by Arby473

terry03 wrote:Sometime during the teens or 20's, the New York, Chicago & St.L. RR built a bridge over the top of the IC at 79th Street. There were 3 levels of bridges with this bridge crossing over the top of the IC which was over the top of E. 79th Street. This was part of the IC track elevations from Chicago to Matteson.

Does anybody know who built this bridge and when?

Bates & Rogers Construction Corporation out of Chicago built almost all of the bridges from Chicago to Matteson. I'm wondering if they built this one also.
I'll tackle the when with an educated guess: 1923. The grade separation and electrification of the ICRR's commuter service was completed and put in service in 1926. Most of this construction was done in the early 1920s.

Side note of interest: This is one of the clearance pinch points on the division. As new double-deck commuter equipment replaced older rolling stock, more clearance was needed. 'Thin' ties have replaced regular 7x9 ties on the deck of the 79th Street bridge where it passes under the Nickel Plate RR bridge. With the catenary wire overhead, every inch gained is helpful.